Re: Specific Heat Capacity Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

doofisconfused

Post by doofisconfused »

(Sorry, didn't read the guidelines as well as I thought! Updating this post with proper grammar.)

Hey! This is probably not that great of a question, but I'm unsure where else to ask - I'd ask my teacher, but we're in the midst of winter break right now. In this ScienceBuddies project, the q=mCpΔt equation has Cp as specific heat capacity, which the project states is .001 when converting to kCal. However, in class and around the internet, it seems like the specific heat capacity of water is ~4.18. Is it different for this equation or scenario? I imagine it's not an error with the project itself. Thanks so much!

Moderator Note: I've removed your duplicate post so the experts here will see that your question has not received a reply. Thanks and good luck with your project.

Moderator: Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... alorimeter
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Hi - this is a great example of when you need to be careful with units! The number you are seeing, 4.18, is the specific heat capacity of water in joules per (gram * degree Celsius). The value given in the project is in calories per (gram * degree Celsius), 1 cal/(g*deg C) or 0.001 kCal/(g*deg C). One kCal is equal to 4,184 joules, so 0.001 kCal(g*deg C) * 4,184 J/kCal = 4.18 J/(g*deg C). Hope that helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”