Antioxidants Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Sash212121

Antioxidants Project

Post by Sash212121 »

Abstract
Antioxidants have become very popular in the news lately for their potential health and anti-aging properties. Antioxidants work by preventing oxidation reactions that produce free-radicals which can cause harm to the body. Try testing different vitamins for antioxidant activity. How do vitamins A, B, C, and E compare? Do some vitamins have more antioxidant activity than others? What are some other sources of antioxidants? Try testing extracts from proposed sources of antioxidants like coffee, tea, tomatoes, carrots, grapes, and berries (MedlinePlus, 2006). Do nuts contain antioxidants? Does roasting or processing affect the antioxidant properties of nuts? (Hopkins and Watts, 2003) A simple way to test for antioxidant activity is to see if the reagent can keep an apple slice from browning.

- My Procedure:
Procedure:

Preparation of Samples:
a. Wash and prepare all fruits and vegetables.
b. Cut fruits and vegetables into small, uniform pieces.
c. Grind nuts using a mortar and pestle.

Extraction of Antioxidants:
a. Prepare extracts by blending or processing each sample with distilled water.
b. Filter the extracts to obtain a clear solution.
c. Divide each extract into small portions for testing.

Testing Antioxidant Activity:
a. Label each test tube or container with the sample name.
b. Pour a small amount of each extract into separate test tubes.
c. Add an equal amount of hydrogen peroxide to each test tube.
d. Observe and record the reaction (e.g., bubbling) as an indicator of antioxidant activity.

Quantitative Analysis:
a. Use a graduated cylinder to measure the volume of gas produced in each test tube after a set time.
b. Record the data and compare the antioxidant activity of different samples.

Roasting/Processing Impact:
a. Roast a portion of the nuts in the oven according to packaging instructions.
b. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with both raw and roasted nuts.
c. Compare the antioxidant activity of raw and roasted nuts.

pH Measurement:
a. Dip pH paper into each extract and record the pH.
b. Compare the acidity/alkalinity of the extracts and its potential correlation with antioxidant activity.

Data Analysis:
a. Analyze the results to determine which vitamins and sources exhibit the highest antioxidant activity.
b. Compare the impact of roasting or processing on nut antioxidant properties.

Conclusion:
a. Summarize findings and draw conclusions about the antioxidant properties of different vitamins and sources.
b. Discuss any correlations between pH levels and antioxidant activity.

- Can you please help me find a way to measure the antioxidants in each food - if you think this procedure does not work - can you give me a procedure or give me notes of the way to work this procedure
kendafannin
Project Question: Bio
Project Due Date: 12/12
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Antioxidants Project

Post by kendafannin »

Can you please help me find a way to measure the antioxidants in each food - if you think this procedure does not work - can you give me a procedure or give me notes of the way to work this procedure
You can use the TEAC method to measure the ability of a sample to scavenge free radicals.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”