Catalase decompose hydrogen

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Catalase decompose hydrogen

Post by 2209111 »

Hello, I'm doing a science fair project about if increasing the temperature of milk will increase the efficiency of removing hydrogen peroxide from it using catalase. Because of this, I'm inclined to include the presence of milk in my experience by adding a large amount of it to a small amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide. But this will decrease the concentration of hydrogen peroxide and make the process catalyze harder and slower. Should I add milk to my experience?

Project link: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... heir-rates

I would be most grateful for your help, thank you!
avashuster
Student Expert

Re: Catalase decompose hydrogen

Post by avashuster »

Hi!

Including milk in your experiment is definitely a crucial aspect since you're studying the effect of temperature on the efficiency of catalase in breaking down hydrogen peroxide. However, you're correct that adding milk will dilute the concentration of hydrogen peroxide - potentially affecting the rate of the reaction. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Use a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide: Instead of using 3% hydrogen peroxide, consider using a more concentrated solution. This way, even after dilution with milk, the concentration of hydrogen peroxide in the reaction mixture will still be significant enough to observe a measurable reaction.
2. Control for the dilution effect: Include control experiments where you only use hydrogen peroxide at various temperatures without adding milk. This will allow you to compare the effect of temperature on catalase activity both with and without milk present.
3. Consider using a standardized amount of catalase: Instead of relying solely on the catalase in milk, you could add a standardized amount of purified catalase to each reaction mixture. This ensures consistency across experiments and minimizes the variability introduced by the catalase content of milk.

These adjustments will ensure that your experiment accurately assesses the effect of temperature on catalase activity in the presence of milk while minimizing the potential impact of dilution on the reaction rate. Hope this helps! :)

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”