Using Mushrooms/Fungi to Make Fuel

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

24MKing

Using Mushrooms/Fungi to Make Fuel

Post by 24MKing »

I am currently researching fungi and the things it can do. I came across articles of mushrooms being used to make fuel but haven't found many resources for information. I have found some articles mentioning it but not going into detail about it and they are usually years old.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to do or know anything about this topic or if it's still relevant in any way?
avashuster
Student Expert

Re: Using Mushrooms/Fungi to Make Fuel

Post by avashuster »

Hi!

Using fungi for biofuel production is a very cool area of research known as mycofuel or fungal biofuel. While it's not as widely discussed as other biofuel sources like algae or plant-based sources such as corn or sugarcane, it remains an active area of exploration in the scientific community.

I have found that databases like PubMed, Google Scholar, or academic journals related to microbiology, biotechnology, or bioenergy might yield more recent and detailed studies on specific topics like this.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/ is a great source to get you started.

You could also explore the websites of universities or research institutions that specialize in biotechnology, microbiology, or bioenergy. They may have ongoing projects or publications related to fungal biofuels.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”