Life Science: how genes work

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Life Science: how genes work

Post by 01050144 »

So, can anyone explain how genes even work, and how they even became the major part of natural selection and evolution? :cry: :?: :?: :?:
It will help if anyone can answer me, and I would appreciate it. :mrgreen:

Also, this is my first time being on this website, so if anyone could guide me around, please do! I'm lost

An 8th Grade student,
E
P.s.
Thx!

Moderator Note: I've combined your two questions into one post so the experts here will notice that your post has not been answered.

Best of luck with your project!
Madeline
avashuster
Student Expert

Re: Life Science: how genes work

Post by avashuster »

Hi!

Genes are like instructions in our bodies that determine things like our eye color, height, and other traits. They're made of DNA, which is a molecule in our cells.

Here's how they work:

Genes are first turned into messages called mRNA.
These messages are then used to make proteins, which do all sorts of jobs in our bodies, like helping us digest food or giving us our hair color.

Now, why are genes so important for how living things change over time?
Well, imagine there's a group of animals living in the wild. Some might have genes that make them better at surviving in their environment. Maybe they have thicker fur to keep them warm or stronger muscles to help them run faster.

These helpful genes get passed down to their babies. Over time, more and more animals in the group have these helpful genes because they're better at surviving and having babies of their own. This is called natural selection.

Sometimes, genes change randomly, which can also affect how living things evolve. And when animals from different groups mix, they share their genes, which can lead to new traits appearing in the population.

So, genes are really important because they decide how living things look and act, and they play a big part in how animals and plants change over time to fit in better with their environment.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need any more clarification! :)
Redthwaite

Re: Life Science: how genes work

Post by Redthwaite »

Basically, genes affect natural selection and evolution via mutation. They will randomly change. Essentially, say you have three beetles. The first beetle, due to a random mutation in its genetics, develops larger eyes, and can then evade predators and locate food easier than other individuals. The beetle can then pass this trait on to its offspring, because it is now better at surviving than other beetles. Now let’s say the second beetle develops a trait in which one leg is significantly larger than the other legs. This inhibits the beetle’s ability to flee from predators and it will likely be eaten. Since this beetle is now dead, he can no longer pass on his traits. Now for the third beetle. This beetle develops a simple blue stripe along its back. This trait does absolutely nothing bad or good for the beetle, and just due to the fact that some beetles will survive while others die, this beetle mates and passes along the trait of the blue stripe on to its offspring.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”