Help! I stored petri dishes incorrectly

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Kathomps

Help! I stored petri dishes incorrectly

Post by Kathomps »

Hello! My 5th grader is doing the 'How Well Do Disinfectants Work?" experiment and we labeled the top of the dish and stored them that way (agar side down). 24 hrs later there is a lot of condensation on the top/non-agar side. After some googling we see that dishes should be stored agar side up so that condensation doesn't drip onto the agar and damage or slow colonial growth. We flipped them over but did we ruin the experiment? We have a very limited window to re-run the experiment if we did hence asking about it 1 day in. Thank you.
Sofiaherron12
Student Expert

Re: Help! I stored petri dishes incorrectly

Post by Sofiaherron12 »

Hello! It's possible that the condensation did ruin parts of the results, or all of it. Some of the colonies may have been unaffected, but it is hard to know. After 24 hours, there should be some growth, especially on the control. I will ask someone who is very experienced growing bacteria on Petri dishes, and let you know what she says tomorrow, just to be extra sure.
Kathomps

Post by Kathomps »

That is very much appreciated, thank you!
Glendom
Project Question: hi
Project Due Date: hi
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by Glendom »

This chemical has a chemical formula that, when in solution, has an active ingredient concentration of 2 to 2.5%. The mechanism of action of the chemical is due to alkylation of sulfhydryl, hydroxyl, carboxyl and amino groups of microorganisms; alter RNA, DNA and protein synthesis. Aqueous solutions have an acidic pH and in this state usually do not kill spores.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”