Question about Write and Read Braille activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

JtownHA

Question about Write and Read Braille activity

Post by JtownHA »

If I'm poking through the paper on one side, when I flip it over isn't it the opposite pattern? (upper right becomes upper left?)

-------------------------------------
Leave this to help the Experts:
The activity can be viewed at: Write and Read Braille
akulk
Student Expert

Re: Question about Write and Read Braille activity

Post by akulk »

Yes, that is exactly right!

Braille is read from left to right, just as the alphabet-based printed English is. Thus, Braille must be written in the reverse direction – with the letters written backwards, from right to left. That way, it will align properly when you flip the paper.

Here is a website that may help! http://www.braillebookstore.com/How-to- ... ar%20print.

Let me know if you have more questions! Always happy to help.
akays

Re: Question about Write and Read Braille activity

Post by akays »

Also, there is a specific type of paper used for Braille called Braille paper. This is thicker and more durable than standard paper to withstand the embossing process without tearing. It allows raised dots to be easily felt by touch. :)

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”