detecting plastic with an ROV

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

MubeenAlRadad

detecting plastic with an ROV

Post by MubeenAlRadad »

I'm currently working on an engineering project relating to arduino. my team and I stumbled upon the idea of making a ROV that's controlled by a joystick and has a sensor that detects plastic. similarly to a video science buddies have posted but instead a camera, a sensor will be used. any idea how to install the sensor and program it, and what kind of sensor we should use?
cnoonan180
Expert

Re: detecting plastic with an ROV

Post by cnoonan180 »

Hello!

This is a very interesting project idea!

Like the Science Buddies project here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ater-robot, one of the easiest ways for you to detect plastic in water using sensors you can buy for an Arduino is by using a waterproof camera module that you can buy or make for the Arduino. This way, you can monitor the plastics you see underwater using the camera. You can also make or purchase a waterproof container for a camera module that you can buy for the Arduino (see the link above). You would have to be very careful to make sure that the enclosure for the camera would be fully waterproof and that no water would touch any electronic hardware - this would be a safety issue!

To detect plastics closer to the surface of water, or floating plastics, you could also make the bottom of your device see-through, and point the camera down or at an angle toward the water to ensure that no water would touch the camera. This way, you could view plastics close to the water surface with the camera.

You can also detect the plastics using a submersible capacitive sensor. This is a type of sensor that will let you detect objects that are close to the sensor - in other words, it is a "proximity sensor." The way the sensor works is by emitting an electrical field from one end of the sensor. Anything that disrupts the electrical field or moves into the electric field, such as plastic, can be detected by this kind of sensor. Capacitive sensors are sold for Arduino usually to measure soil moisture, but you may be able to adapt the sensor to slightly touch the water you're testing your device in to detect plastics in the water close to the water surface by waterproofing the sensor. Make sure to follow all safety rules for the sensor that you buy - and it would be best to use a sensor that is made for underwater use!

I recommend using the camera method to detect the plastics in water.

Our mentors can help you with programming the sensor once you decide on the type of sensor and Arduino model that you want to use. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Good luck with your project!
MubeenAlRadad

Re: detecting plastic with an ROV

Post by MubeenAlRadad »

Thank you so much for your help, I will discuss with my team what's best for us then let you know!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”