Wondering How to average my expirment results?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jibrilr

Wondering How to average my expirment results?

Post by jibrilr »

Hello
I am doing my project on which drink has more electrolytes sports drink or orange juice and I am wondering do I average the results regularly like a regular experiment add it all up then divide by 3?

[Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... orts-drink ]
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Wondering How to average my expirment results?

Post by MadelineB »

Hi Jibrilr,

One approach is to make a graph and show the actual observations for each of the trials for each of the sports drinks. This lets the science fair judges see how the observed values of the electrolytes differ between trials and differ between the different sports drinks.

You could label the horizontal axis with drink name and trial 1, trial 2, trial 3, repeating this for each drink. Then use the vertical axis to show the actual observed electrolyte values. You can jazz this up by using a different color for each sports drink ... use the color that matches the drink if you have orange, green and ?purple!!

One extra thing to do would be to mark the median electrolyte value within the 3 trials for each drink ... maybe use a black X. The median is the observed electrolyte value that is in the middle ... one value is higher, one value is lower, and the middle is the median.

Let us know if this helps and if you have more questions!

Best of luck with your project!
Madeline

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”