Composting Using Fruit Peels After Using Them in Another Experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

jezakkk

Composting Using Fruit Peels After Using Them in Another Experiment

Post by jezakkk »

As a science fair project, I am showing how we can benefit waste fruit peels by turning them into cleaners and using them to purify contaminated water. After doing so, I would not like to waste the fruit peels.

My question is that if it is okay to use the fruit peels in a compost AFTER the previous experiments.

Since the fruit peels will be mixed with other substances, I am unsure if it will have a good result in composting. My goal here is to reduce fruit peel waste. An answer to the previous question and any tips or techniques will be very much appreciated. Thank You in advance :)
rbharambe
Student Expert

Re: Composting Using Fruit Peels After Using Them in Another Experiment

Post by rbharambe »

Hello,

That sounds like an interesting project!

In terms of using the fruit peels in compost after the previous experiment, it is important to consider the safety of the substances you mixed the fruit peels in. If the fruit peels are potentially contaminated or contain residual chemicals, they may end up harming the plants or soil the compost is used for. However, if the substances are all safe, then composting them should be fine.

For effective composting, I would recommend cutting the fruit peels into small pieces to speed up the breakdown process. In addition, mixing the nitrogen-rich peels with carbon-rich materials such as dried leaves will create a balanced compost.

I hope that helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”