SUPER SIZE ME!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Menamena

SUPER SIZE ME!!!

Post by Menamena »

I need help! I am planning a science fair project. I plan to do mine on how fats, salts and sugars affect peoples taste preference for different types of french fries (Mcdonalds, Burger King,New York Fries etc.). I expect to find that the more fat, salt and sugar they contain the more they are preferred. And therefore conclude, that this is why the companies put more fat, salt and sugar then is necessary in their product.

I need help with how I can simply measure the amounts of salts,fats and sugar in french fries? I have been able to find experiments on how to find the prescence of these ingredients but not how to measure the relative amounts.

Thanks in advance for your help!! :D :)
SJStanko
Project Question: --
Project Due Date: --
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SJStanko »

Many restaurants (definitely McDonald's and Burger King) have the nutritional information available at the restaurant for their products, including the amount of sodium (salts), sugars as simple carbohydrates, and fat. McDonald's even has this information on the web - I found it by searching on Google for 'mcdonalds nutritional information'. This would probably be a very good starting point to see if there are differences in the french fries between different restaurants.

Post by Guest »

mena,

hello!
i hope this would not be quite offending to you...but on my personal opinion...actually, based on my experiences in dealing with measurement and evaluation of my data, questions which ask people preferences are highly subjected and therefore are difficult to measure. Taste for example vary with people to people. What tastes good to you might not as good as it might seemed to others...some people might regard salty food good than the one which has lesser salt... things like that!

i my opinion, questions which is answered using the senses alone is quite subjective.

will, i've read it in the sciencebuddies..."how good is your title?" something about bad topics - topics to be avoided

:) julie

Post by Guest »

mena,

hello!
i hope this would not be quite offending to you...but on my personal opinion...actually, based on my experiences in dealing with measurement and evaluation of my data, questions which ask people preferences are highly subjected and therefore are difficult to measure. Taste for example vary with people to people. What tastes good to you might not as good as it might seemed to others...some people might regard salty food good than the one which has lesser salt... things like that!

i my opinion, questions which is answered using the senses alone is quite subjective.

will, i've read it in the sciencebuddies..."how good is your title?" something about bad topics - topics to be avoided

:) julie

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”