Music and Tests

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Music and Tests

Post by Guest »

I am doing a science project on how music affects how high you score on different tests. To keep my data the most unbiased, I was wondering whether the personality of the person affects how they scored on different tests. For example, does a shy person so better in math tests than history? Or a sporty person do batter in social studies?
I was also wondering how music overall affects your body and ability to concentrate. Does anyone have an answer to one or both of these? It would be very helpful. Thanks!
htb

Re: Music and Tests

Post by htb »

Guest wrote:I am doing a science project on how music affects how high you score on different tests. To keep my data the most unbiased, I was wondering whether the personality of the person affects how they scored on different tests. For example, does a shy person so better in math tests than history? Or a sporty person do batter in social studies?
I was also wondering how music overall affects your body and ability to concentrate. Does anyone have an answer to one or both of these? It would be very helpful. Thanks!
This is very tough one to do well as you've described it- I would first suggest a different project. One of the problems with experiments like this is that people learn different types of material in different ways- and I'm sure that every student has had the experience of just not doing well on a test, despite studying and knowing the material.

Perhaps a better project to address your question would be the following:
ask a volunteer to memorize the position and types of cards that are lying face up in front of them, then turn the cards over (face down). Score their ability to recall this information- repeat it several times to measure a "baseline" ability to memorize and recall. Then, using a fresh set of mixed cards, play different types of music at different volumes and repeat the process. You would need to do this with several people using the same sets of music. Be sure to test the effect of volume as well- even with the same track. Basically what you're testing here is the ability of sound to distract a person's information storage and recall ability- jarring, loud, and discordant sounds tend to do this very effectively, while softer, smoother sounds will do this less.

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”