Creating a Rain Forest

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
piasadora

Creating a Rain Forest

Post by piasadora »

I am re-creating a rain forest in an aquarium tank for extra credit and display at a state fair. I realize there is a possible problem with water drainage when plants are watered. I was thinking of a layer of gravel and sand, and then dirt on top of that. Is this a good idea? Will it work if say the plants were misted and not watered?
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Yes, I think that will work. Just make sure that your plant roots are not submerged in saturated sediments. You should be able to see through the glass how much water is in the gravel and sand. Wetland plants will tolerate inundated soils, but most others will not.
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

ChrisG wrote:Yes, I think that will work. Just make sure that your plant roots are not submerged in saturated sediments. You should be able to see through the glass how much water is in the gravel and sand. Wetland plants will tolerate inundated soils, but most others will not.
I would also research terrariums on google, as there are lots of resources on how to grow plants under these conditions.

Louise

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”