VARIABLES

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

VARIABLES

Post by Guest »

I NEED HELP WITH MY VARIABLES. MY PROJECT IS ON TRIBOLUMINESCENCE IN A LIFESAVER :)
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Tribolumenesience in lifesavers

Post by tdaly »

Guest,

I take it that you are studying the sparks that are made when you smash wintergreen lifesavers, right? There are many different variables that you could choose to work with for this investigation. First, let us review the types of variables. The INDEPENDENT VARAIBLE is what you change; the DEPENDANT VARIABLE is what happens because of the change you made. CONTROLS are things that you keep the same through out your experiment so that all differences in the dependant variables can be attributes to the independent variable. Independent variables for your project might include the atmosphere (does the lifesaver make a different color spark when surrounded by helium, instead of by air); the device used to smash the lifesaver, the surface the lifesaver is smashed on, whether or not the lifesaver is smashed in water or air, etc. These all are very interesting to study.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them. Good Luck!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”