8 year old NEEDS Your Idea for TOPIC question

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

evenstar181

8 year old NEEDS Your Idea for TOPIC question

Post by evenstar181 »

:? Hi, My daughter is in 3rd grade and has a science fair (it's her first). It is due tomorrow and has everything done but the TITLE.

The rules were 90 percent student and 10 percent parents, and my daughter did her experiments with me present, and completely trashed the kitchen!

The judging and all is tomorrow, and I saw one of the students in her classes project all completed. It looked like a college student did the project, and not the actual student. The terminology was so intense and boring, I don't know how the child understands it. The entire presentation was not an 8 year olds work.

Do you think I should help my daughters look like she did it or I helped too much?

Do you think the judges will KNOW that the student did not do the work at all?

My real question is WHAT do I have her put as her Question Title. She collects rocks and is fascinated and wanted to see if she could make her own crystals and where do they come from. She made her own rock candy, and began mixing ingredients to make big blobs of stuff by mixing it with boiling water and trying to get rock or crystal qualities. She even has one she says looks like a bee hive. She made rock candy with yarn in a glass and added color to it. She colored salts and made a horrendous thing out of epsom salts. She has several samples and how she made them and with what. She has a couple of samples of what happens when you add too much salt or sugars.

Can you help her think of the title question? She needs your Ideas
Thanks,
Mom
samanthalevy

Post by samanthalevy »

how about the title:
SWEETS ROCK !

OR IF U WANT A QUESTION TITLE:

" R U SWEET ENOUGH?"
"ARE YOU SWEET ENOUGH?"

DOES SWEET CANDY "ROCK"?

GOODLUCK!
8)
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

The judges will know; don't worry. My guess is that your child's enthusiasm for the subject and ability to explain what she did (because she actually did it) will come across and that that will count in her favor.

Does the title have to be in the form of a question?

I should preface this by warning that I am terrible at thinking up catchy titles. However, the way you described it--that she's fascinated by rocks and wanted to know where they came from--immediately suggests something like, 'Where do rocks come from?'

Sounds like your child had fun--even though she destroyed the kitchen, I'd call it a success!
evenstar181

SWEET!!

Post by evenstar181 »

Hi! Thanks for the help - She loves her project and has been eating it all morning! LOL - So I guess Sweets Rock is a great title for her!

She has to have the title, then the question she had and she had so many questions! She has a collection of rocks and crystals and knows a lot about them. She wants to show the different kinds of crystals in her collection along with this ton of candy and funky things she made.

She even tasted her epsom salt experiment and decided it didn't taste very good. She has raw emeralds and sapphires and quartz, citrine, etc along with her home made candy and blobs of stuff.

So if she has the title there Sweets Rock! which is very cute for an 8 year old, she needs a question as to what she was trying to figure out other than "can you eat rocks?" lol, again

She wondered where do crystals come from so how does that sound?

Sweets Rock
Where do crystals come from? Can you make your own crystals?
Can you eat crystals? LOL!

I'm kind of stuck under that question thing, and she is bouncing off the walls eating her RED ROCK candy! Oh no

Got any suggestions for a good question for her to put there. She can explain everything she did, and how mommy and daddy cleaned up her giant mess and she had to be watched not to burn herself. But that question is just getting me.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

I think 'Where do crystals come from?' is just fine. Another possibility would be 'What makes the best crystals?' ('Best' is not a very scientific term as it's highly subjective, but for an 8-year-old I think it's fine.)

Can you try to get her calmed down long enough to tell you what it is she wanted to learn from the experiment? Just ask her 'of the questions you wanted to answer, which one is the most important?' Then go with that.
evenstar181

Great Idea

Post by evenstar181 »

Hi and thanks again! She loves the title Sweets Rock - I asked her to think of what she wanted to learn from the experiment and she is all over the place because she learned a lot of things from it.

The question part is hard for her because she already knows so much about rocks and crystals from collecting them for so long. It was cute last nite she said she knows where fake crystals come from.

She said "I know how they make fake crystals, they take a real pink crystal and then they dip it in cement that they mix up, then they dip it in pink plastic that they colored and they get a fake crystal" LOL

I thought that was funny!

How about " Can you make crystals?"

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”