HELP!!!!!!!! I DON"T WANT 2 FAIL !!!!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
D3li3

HELP!!!!!!!! I DON"T WANT 2 FAIL !!!!!!

Post by D3li3 »

hi, i need help ASAP. My science fair project id due tomorrow and I need crazy help!!!
Shondell Prince
Louise
Former Expert

Re: HELP!!!!!!!! I DON"T WANT 2 FAIL !!!!!!

Post by Louise »

D3li3 wrote: hi, i need help ASAP. My science fair project id due tomorrow and I need crazy help!!!
Well, why don't you ask a question then? Also, explain exactly what your experiment is, what your hypothesis was, and what your data showed.

This is a message board, not a chat room, so don't expect an instant response. Sometimes, it takes 24 hours to get a response.

You are also more likely to get a response with a better subject. Half the threads here are titled "Help" so when you answer my question above, and ask whatever it is you need help with, you might want to post it in a new thread with a more informative subject (such as "How to analysis pH data in orange juice" or something specific like that.)

Whatever you do, don't post this exact same post under a new subject on this or the other boards. Describe your project and your hypothesis and results, and ask your question.

Louise
D3li3

Post by D3li3 »

Can Milk, Water, and Sprite Affect The Transfer Of Force Through Saturated Soil?

Purpose:
To determine if milk, water, and sprite can affect the transfer of force through saturated soil.

Hypothesis:
I think that milk, water, and sprite will affect the transfer of force through saturated soil. In fact, I think that water will affect the transfer of force through saturated soil the most because, the soil is used to being used with water and hasn’t been exposed as much with milk and sprite. I also think the milk will have the least affect of force through saturated soil because, milk has a certain thickness to it than sprite and water which will make it even more difficult to saturate the soil.

Materials:
1. Section of a PVC pipe
2. Drill
3. Milk, Water, and Sprite
4. Dried Leaves
5 Dowels
6. Weights
7. Cheesecloth
8. Duct Tape
9. Measuring cup
10. Soil
11. Timer

Procedure:
1.Drill 4 holes in the PVC pipe app. 2 in. apart vertically.
2. Cover the bottom of the section of the PVC pipe using the cheesecloth.
3. Fill the pipe with soil and dried leaves from the other end of the section of the PVC pipe.
4. Place the bottom of the pipe with the cheesecloth in a container filled with water and leave it overnight.
5. Seal the bottom of the pipe with duct tape.
6. Quickly insert the four dowels into the holes previously drilled .
7. Place the weights on the soil to help it settle quicker.
8. After, tap the pipe at the top 3 hard times.
9. Wait 3 hours for the soil to settle completely.
10. Drop the pip 3 times on a hard surface from about 2.5 in. high.
11.Pull out the dowels and measure
12. Repeat all steps; but instead using milk and sprite.

Manipulated variables:
1. The experimental fillers: water, milk, and sprite.

Responding variables:
1. Soil

Controlled Variables:
1. Amount of soil, water, sprite, and milk
2. Elapsed time of settling
3. Type and amount of dried leaves
4. Weight of the weights

Results:
My results were that the milk, water, and milk did affect the soil.

Data Table:

Trials Water Milk Sprite

Conclusion:
had the most affect after the transfer of force through saturated soil. Whereas, had the least affect of force through saturated soil.
Shondell Prince
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

D3li3 wrote:Can Milk, Water, and Sprite Affect The Transfer Of Force Through Saturated Soil?

Purpose:
To determine if milk, water, and sprite can affect the transfer of force through saturated soil.

Hypothesis:
I think that milk, water, and sprite will affect the transfer of force through saturated soil. In fact, I think that water will affect the transfer of force through saturated soil the most because, the soil is used to being used with water and hasn’t been exposed as much with milk and sprite. I also think the milk will have the least affect of force through saturated soil because, milk has a certain thickness to it than sprite and water which will make it even more difficult to saturate the soil.

Materials:
1. Section of a PVC pipe
2. Drill
3. Milk, Water, and Sprite
4. Dried Leaves
5 Dowels
6. Weights
7. Cheesecloth
8. Duct Tape
9. Measuring cup
10. Soil
11. Timer

Procedure:
1.Drill 4 holes in the PVC pipe app. 2 in. apart vertically.
2. Cover the bottom of the section of the PVC pipe using the cheesecloth.
3. Fill the pipe with soil and dried leaves from the other end of the section of the PVC pipe.
4. Place the bottom of the pipe with the cheesecloth in a container filled with water and leave it overnight.
5. Seal the bottom of the pipe with duct tape.
6. Quickly insert the four dowels into the holes previously drilled .
7. Place the weights on the soil to help it settle quicker.
8. After, tap the pipe at the top 3 hard times.
9. Wait 3 hours for the soil to settle completely.
10. Drop the pip 3 times on a hard surface from about 2.5 in. high.
11.Pull out the dowels and measure
12. Repeat all steps; but instead using milk and sprite.

Manipulated variables:
1. The experimental fillers: water, milk, and sprite.

Responding variables:
1. Soil

Controlled Variables:
1. Amount of soil, water, sprite, and milk
2. Elapsed time of settling
3. Type and amount of dried leaves
4. Weight of the weights

Results:
My results were that the milk, water, and milk did affect the soil.

Data Table:

Trials Water Milk Sprite

Conclusion:
had the most affect after the transfer of force through saturated soil. Whereas, had the least affect of force through saturated soil.
Okay. I afraid I don't understand your results here. So in step 11, you are measuring a distance? How much the soil settled in the pipe? What were the numbers for each liquid?

What do you want us to help with?

Louise
D3li3

Post by D3li3 »

there was 1 cup of sand soil for 3 trials in water, 3 in sprite, and 3 in milk. The liquid has 2 cups of each(water, nilk, and sprite)
Shondell Prince
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

D3li3 wrote:there was 1 cup of sand soil for 3 trials in water, 3 in sprite, and 3 in milk. The liquid has 2 cups of each(water, nilk, and sprite)
Okay. Can you please explain what you want us to help with? And I still don't see which part is the measured results. This 1 cup and 2 cup looks like the controlled variables/ experimental conditions.

Louise
D3li3

Post by D3li3 »

alll of the stores are closed and i dont have a spring scale. WAht do u think the measurements will be for milk, sprite, and water. I've found some research that a spring scale is used in either newtons or grams. CAn u make a prediction for me???
Shondell Prince
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

-Craig
D3li3

Post by D3li3 »

Yes, it is... what do u think the measurements would be??
Shondell Prince
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Craig_Bridge wrote:Louise, I believe the project is https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home
Thanks.

Louise
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

D3li3 wrote:alll of the stores are closed and i dont have a spring scale. WAht do u think the measurements will be for milk, sprite, and water. I've found some research that a spring scale is used in either newtons or grams. CAn u make a prediction for me???

If you didn't do the experiment, then you cannot report values. That is dishonest. We cannot and will not help you cheat. In science if you get caught making up data you are fired and you can never work again in science. It isn't just a failing grade on one project, your career in science is over. Besides, think of how well things would work if scientists and engineering just guessed at data instead of actually doing the experiment. Nothing would work. Buildings would collapse. Cars would explode. It would be chaos!

Can you do one of the other geology projects that you have the equipment for? For example:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home

only requires using the computer.

Louise
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

The original experiment is a variation on saturated soil compaction testing used by civil engineers. There are a few gotchas not covered in the original proceedure. You need to presoak the wooden dowel rods and make sure that they move freely in the holes before you put in the soil. And you need a way of measuring the force needed to extract the dowels. A spring scale is the easiest.

If you have a table or something you can get the pipe up off the floor with, A pin through the dowel, a short piece of rope, a pulley on a board, and a bucket, water, and something to pour it slowly int the buck with, plus a bathroom scale to weigh the bucket of water can be used. Attach the rope to dowel so the pin through the dowel keeps it from letting go. Attach the pulley to the end of a board slightly longer than the dowel. Thread the rope through the pulley and attach the bucket to the rope. Slowly fill the bucket until the dowel moves. Weigh the bucket with the amount of water it took. This will give you the force in whatever uints your scale. A real Rube Goldberg method...

As to your variation, of using milk and sprite, both are mostly water by weight and volume, so unless some unexpected chemical reaction with the soil occurs, I wouldn't expect to see much difference.
-Craig
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Oops, forgot to spell check...
"int the buck" should read "into the bucket".
Opposite end of board with pulley should be held against the pipe.

Nothing like waiting for the last minute. Even if you can do this experiment with the Rube Goldberg method of measuring force, you won't have time to put together the presentation.
-Craig

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”