What is the best type of plant to conduct an experiment on?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
elzark

What is the best type of plant to conduct an experiment on?

Post by elzark »

Hi, I am conducting an experiment where I test the effects of different types of water on a plant, but I was wondering what type of plant would be the best to experiment on.
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

What "types of water or liquids" are you considering testing with? Knowing that will probably affect any recommendations.
-Craig
carolinethorn
Former Expert

Post by carolinethorn »

It also depends on what types of effects you want to observe:
If you are thinking of looking at effects on growth you would probably want to choose a fast growing plant like mustard or grasses.
If you want to look at oxygen production you might choose something like pond weed.
If you want to look at effects on leaf quality you might choose something with large leaves like basil.
If you are thinking from an agricultural application perspective you might choose a crop plant - rice, maize, soy.

Lots of choices. Think some more about what interests you on this project - pollution, plant growth, producing food, and see where that takes you.
Best of luck,
Caroline

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”