Finding a hypothesis for sugar and salt crystal project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mmcguirl

Finding a hypothesis for sugar and salt crystal project

Post by mmcguirl »

I need help with what hypothesis to use for making sugar and salt crystals? What question can I use for my project.
I am having trouble coming up with a hypothesis for my science project. I have chosen to make sugar and salt crystals
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

A lot can be done in the area of growing crystals, to better help you with choosing something interesting to you...

What grade are you in?
What aspect of growing crystals interests you?
-Craig
mmcguirl

Post by mmcguirl »

I am in 4th grade. I am looking for a hypothesis between the two. What type of question would I ask as a hypothesis
I am having trouble coming up with a hypothesis for my science project. I have chosen to make sugar and salt crystals
Alaa1991

Post by Alaa1991 »

I have an advice: Maybe you should first come up with a question, and once you come up with a question it becomes easier to formulate a hypothesis. So think of what excalty you want to test with sugar and salt cyrstal.

Below are some of the questions you can do with sugar and salt crystals, you don't have to choose them, but you can if you are intrested in them.

1) Do sugar crystals grow faster in tap water or distilled water?
2) or you can dissolve sugar and salt in warm water. and let the water cool and evaporate ( which takes serval days) to form cyrstals. and see how do sugar and salt differ in apperance?

3) or you can see if sugar crystals grow bigger in a certain type of liquid (water, unsweetened apple juice or 7-Up).

Now let me give you an example of how you can formulate a hypothesis from one of these questions.
In question one your hypothesis can be ( Sugar crystals grow faster in tap water)
Basically a hypothesis is an educated guess. You can not formulate a hypothesis until you research about your topic.

Hope this helps.
mmcguirl

Post by mmcguirl »

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Take care

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”