Science Fair help!!

Ask questions about your science fair project here. Please be specific and complete.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

angellee

Science Fair help!!

Post by angellee »

My son in 4th grade wants to do a science fair project on the Titanic, But i am lost for words trying to pick a topic that would work for science, could yall please help me to come up with a topic, I don't want to discourage him and tell him that the Titanic is a hard one cause he has his mind set on it. Thanks so much any advice would help!!
Lisa Thomas
Ken

Ice: That's what sunk the Titanic!

Post by Ken »

Perhaps a project that looked at floating ice would be appropriate for a fourth grader interested in the Titanic. How much of an ice cube (or ice berg) floats above the water and how much below?

To prepare for the experiment, the student should study the concepts of volume and density (the amount of weight in a given volume). If the student is advanced for a fourth grader, he could also study the concept of displacement (but that may be a bit much at that age). These concepts will help him understand why ice floats in the first place.

For the experiment itself, it would be important to have ice cubes that were true cubes (not half moon shapes or something else that would be very difficult to measure). This would make the experiment one that a fourth grader could pull off.

Good luck!

Ken -- Science Buddies Staff
daliakhattab

Titanic

Post by daliakhattab »

maybe something on ice-bergs would go in the category of Titanic- is your son interested in icebergs or glaciers? :D
~*Cow Luver*~

Return to “General Questions”