I do not know where to start! Factors that affect Roundup

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

heytin45
Project Question: Weeds be gone! Experiment with factors that affect the Roundup Weed Killer
Project Due Date: Not sure of the exact date.
Project Status: I am just starting

I do not know where to start! Factors that affect Roundup

Post by heytin45 »

My topic is on how the dose and method of application affect the activity of a glyphosate-based weed killer, like Roundup. For this project, it says that I'll need plants with well-define leaves. How many plants do I really need for this experiment? Am I going to need alot?
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: I do not know where to start! Factors that affect Roundu

Post by theborg »

Heytin45,

Welcome to science buddies and thank you for your question. You will need one plant as a control, one that isn't exposed to the weed-killer. Additionally, you will need one for each experiment configuration. For example, if you were to test 3 solution amounts with 2 ways of application, then you would need 6 plants + 1 control = 7 plants total (at a minimum). If you really wanted to do it right, you should have at least 2 of each (7 * 2 = 14 total)...basically a parallel experiment to ensure results are the same given the same conditions.

Please post back if you have other questions.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml
heytin45
Project Question: Weeds be gone! Experiment with factors that affect the Roundup Weed Killer

Post by heytin45 »

Hi there,
Thank you for your response. The experiment says that i need 15 plants, though. And it's just for one trial. If i were to test it twice then am im going to need 30 plants?!
heytin45

Post by heytin45 »

Hi again,

Me and two other group members thought 21 plants will be good enough. Each of us will be working with 7 plants. Instead of using 3 solution amounts and 2 ways of application, we will be using 5 solution amounts for 5 plants, so i guess that's only one way of application? With the remainder of the two plants, one will be a controlled variable and the other one will be an extra for now. Also, i need to find some current experiments/classic experiments based on this project, and i can't find anything online. Do you know of some i can look for? Thank you for your time.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”