Need help for biotechnology project

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

katnaseth
Project Question: How do proteins & their functions vary between species? (mainly need help with using the NCBI "BLAST" database
Project Due Date: > 3 months
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Need help for biotechnology project

Post by katnaseth »

For my science fair this year, I'm using a science-buddies project as a template (basis) for my idea, which involves amino acids and proteins & functions between species.

(project link on sciencebuddies: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary)

This isn't my exact project, but it's similar - I'm going to be using the NCBI BLAST (and other) databases to compare proteins and their functions between species.

Under "step 5" in the procedure, it states, "Explore the function(s) of your proteins using a domain identification database (see online tools listed in bibliography). These tools typically require you to input your amino acid sequence in FASTA format. Learn a little about some of the domains that you identify -- particularly any that occur in the regions that you have shown to be conserved. Can you see how do the functions of these domains relate to the overall job of the protein? How do your results here relate to the results of your sequence alignment?"

The part I'm confused about is the domain. ( "Learn a little about some of the domains that you identify -- particularly any that occur in the regions that you have shown to be conserved. Can you see how do the functions of these domains relate to the overall job of the protein?" ). What exactly does this detail - learning more about the domain(s) identified?

Thanks for the help!

katnaseth
hhemken
Former Expert

Re: Need help for biotechnology project

Post by hhemken »

katnaseth,

I suggest you post this in the Life, Earth, and Social Science (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... m.php?f=28) forum, since this has to do with biological function, not Math or Computer Science.

Good luck!

Heinz Hemken
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”