HELP!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

RudyKay2
Project Question: using a laser pointer to measure the data track spacing on cds and dvds
Project Due Date: November 19th, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

HELP!

Post by RudyKay2 »

I can not seem to figure this out. I am doing a science fair project with an experimental question of "How can diffraction of light be used to measure microscopic data track spacing on a CD and a DVD?" I do NOT know what my hypothesis should be and I don't know what the science concept (example- density, air pressure, etc.) would be.
PLEASE HELP AND PLEASE HURRY!!! It's due soon!
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HELP!

Post by rmarz »

RudyKay2 - I assume you have read through the Science Buddies experiment titled 'Using a Laser Pointer to Measure Data Track Spacing'. It tells in good detail the way that light refraction can be used to measure and calculate the track spacing on CD's or DVD's. Look over the material and if there is something that you have problems understanding, come back to the Experts with specific questions. We want to help, but we can only do that when you have explained what it is that you are having difficulty understanding.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary

Rick Marz
RudyKay2
Project Question: using a laser pointer to measure the data track spacing on cds and dvds
Project Due Date: November 19th, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by RudyKay2 »

Thank you for replying, sorry for not making things clear enough. I understand the experiment, but I don't know what the science concept would be. I hope that helps and if it doesn't... try and figure it out.
Goldenzenith
Former Student Expert

Post by Goldenzenith »

The science concept is the underlying idea or notion of the project. Your project in particular deals with interference and diffraction, which are actually mentioned under the sub-heading "Terms and Concepts" in the link provided by Rick Marz. Hope that helped!
Need an idea or some inspiration?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Want to read up on awesome projects and science/math-related news?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/index.php

Enjoy! :D
-RM, Expert
John Dreher
Former Expert
Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)

Post by John Dreher »

Another important concept is that light behaves like a wave. (For the sake of accuracy: it can also behave like a particle a times; how it can behave as both a wave and a particle Is the central riddle of quantum mechanics, which some of you may learn much later in your education.)

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”