Dice Probabilities Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

j1nelso
Project Question: Dice Probabilities project -
Project Due Date: 1/1/2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Dice Probabilities Project

Post by j1nelso »

I want to make sure I understand the use of the term "variable". If my son is trying to determine if you are more likely to roll a sum of at least 18 with 3 ten-sided dice or 5 six-sided dice, is this only one variable? He has a project due and he is not allowed to have more than one variable.

Thank you
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Dice Probabilities Project

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. A great project!

There are two types of variables. Independent and dependent variables.
- Independent variables are those you change throughout the experiment and COULD affect change on the outcome. I say COULD, because the may not. You won't know this until you run your experiment.
- Dependent variables are your measurements of outcome affected by changes in the independent variable(s).

From these definitions, can your son determine his dependent and independent variables? If not, feel free to write back what you think they are and why, and we can chat more.

Good luck!
Deana
j1nelso
Project Question: Dice Probabilities project -
Project Due Date: 1/1/2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by j1nelso »

Thank you for the information. I believe we have figured out the variables in the project. Thank you for the feedback :)
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Great! Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”