science fair project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

kevin31110
Project Question: Research project
Project Due Date: January 18th, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

science fair project

Post by kevin31110 »

In the science project that my partner and I are doing involves the bacteria Bacillus Cereus and we have turned in all our forms, but it says that we need a qualified scientist. I need any help in looking for a qualified scientist to give me concent in proceding with my project. I have done my research of bacillus cereus and my teacher did some as well and we came to a conclusion that it is not as bad or different then the dangers of e.coli. But we still need a qualified scientist. We have emailed many faculty members of UC Berkeley explainning our science fair project but they do not reply. I need a qualified scientist to mentor me over the computer via email, and is able to sign the form of the science fair project that i need done.
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: science fair project

Post by HeatherL »

Hi Kevin,

It sounds like you have a good idea of where your project is going, and it will be helpful for you to have a mentor guiding you.

Here are some tips from Science Buddies about how to find a mentor: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tors.shtml

The professors at UC Berkeley have a lot going on (especially at this time of year) and may not have had time to respond to you yet. Have you tried contacting other universities (e.g., San Jose State, Santa Clara University) or community colleges in the Bay area? Often the professors at the teaching-focused colleges are given a little more time for mentorship activities. Try broadening your search to find a mentor.

If you are still unable to find a suitable mentor, did you consider whether it is possible to do your experiment with E. coli instead of Bacillus cereus? I'm not sure exactly what you're planning to do for your project, but one alternative is to use a bacterial species that does not require the use of a research lab.

Good luck, and let us know if you need more help along the way!

Heather

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”