I need help building a mechanical arm for my 8th gr. project

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

maiasugar

I need help building a mechanical arm for my 8th gr. project

Post by maiasugar »

Can anybody give me any helpful advice on building a mechanical arm? The device needs to be able to lift a pencil from the floor at a distance of one meter.
I need to use simple materials such as-sticks,poles,rope,string,styrofoam,glue,tape,etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!!
matthewmulanax
Former Expert

Post by matthewmulanax »

chaosreigns98

idea

Post by chaosreigns98 »

well if i were you i would go and play one of those crane games check out the cranes design, then look at those stcks this animals on the end where if you pull the "trigger" the mouth opens and closes.

use the crane design, and use a pulley with something to bring the string up and down, use maybe a straw or omething with 2 strings running through it and have some sot of clamp at the end which you can manualy open and close with a lever or button

idk just a general idea that sounded cool
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

Pencils are pretty light. I suspect the adhesive on tape would work pretty well for picking it up, which is good because clamps are tricky to make.

First prove you can pick up a pencil with whatever sticky thing you have (example, wrap a stick in tape, and see if you can use it to pick up the pencil, just by touching the stick to the tape)

I'd focus on how to make an arm that I can manipulate with a sticky end.
snoopyflipz

i got the same project!!!

Post by snoopyflipz »

can u tell me what you did i might use some of your ideas but i wont take the whole project

thank you,
~matty~
melandchels

same project!

Post by melandchels »

ya we need to do the same thing. what did you end up doing?
:roll: :lol:
Melissa and Chelsie
pradeeppal

I need help building a mechanical arm for my gr. project

Post by pradeeppal »

[pradeeppalCan anybody give me any helpful advice on building a mechanical arm? The device needs to be able to lift a pencil from the floor at a distance of one meter.
I need to use simple materials such as-sticks,poles,rope,string,styrofoam,glue,tape,etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!![/quote]

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”