Hypothesis help

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Jennwallace2
Project Question: Hypothesis help
Project Due Date: Feb 5
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Hypothesis help

Post by Jennwallace2 »

I am helping my son formulate his hypothesis for his science fair project. He chose the M&M survival challenge from this site. He knows that the 100 M&Ms are the constant and the colored paper is the independent variable. But he can't decide how to phrase his hypothesis. If I change the background color, then...... Should he chose one color he thinks will most likely survive all colors or can he say that the amount of each color will change when he changes the background color. The latter seems too broad. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Hypothesis help

Post by theborg »

Jennwallace2,

Thank you for your question. I hadn't seen this particular project on the Science Buddies site and so haven't performed it. However, in thinking about it, it is a test of the effects of camouflage on the survivability, that is an individuals ability to blend into the background. So my hypothesis would be something along the lines of this: "The less contrast difference there is between an individual and the background color it is against, the greater the probability that it will avoid being eaten and survive." Or inversly: "The greater the contrast difference between an individual and its background, the greater probability that it will be detected and eaten by a predator."

Those are my thoughts that lay out in the thesis that the contrast difference is the independant variable and the probability of detection or survivability is the dependant variable.

However, it is your students project, he should make his own guess and then test that hypothesis.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”