Gene Expression Profiling and Bioinformatics Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

rahul_mohan
Project Question: I am a 8th grade student and am very interested in the bioinformatics field. I am competing in the Google Science Fair. I wanted some help in picking a topic in the bioinformatics area, such as gene expression.
Project Due Date: April 30, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Gene Expression Profiling and Bioinformatics Help

Post by rahul_mohan »

I am currently researching topics relating to gene expression and bioinformatics.

I am interested in the bioinformatics field and would like to do our project in this area. I did some preliminary research by going through the Sage Genie Database which contains gene expression data for various kinds of cancers:
http://cgap.nci.nih.gov/SAGE/SDGED_Wiza ... S10&ORG=Hs.

I have identified the over-expressed genes for different kinds of cancers using the SAGE database. I did some further research and found out that non-small cell lung cancer is the leading cause of death in men and women in the western world. Based on this information, I feel that improving the prognosis of lung cancer patients would be a good topic to work on. I found one research paper published recently in this area: A gene expression signature can be used to predict the recurrence of Stage 1 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.

I would like to get your feedback whether this is a good topic to do my science project on. Alternately, could you please suggest any other topics where bioinformatics is applied to better cancer prognosis? Lastly, I wanted to request you to mentor me in coming up with a good hypothesis, or refer me to someone who has been doing work in the bioinformatics area.

Thank in advance for your help,
Rahul Mohan
hhemken
Former Expert

Re: Gene Expression Profiling and Bioinformatics Help

Post by hhemken »

rahul_mohan,

Please post this question in the Life, Earth, and Social Sciences (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... m.php?f=28) forum. I doubt that there are that many genomicists or bioinformaticians in the Math and Computer Science forum.

Thanks!
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”