science fair project help URGENT

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jesus1199
Project Question: If exergames can be a form of excercise
Project Due Date: 3/13/13
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

science fair project help URGENT

Post by jesus1199 »

I need help in analyzing my data in the topic sweating the score: can video games be a form of excersice. I dont understand how to anayze it form the graph, please help
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: science fair project help URGENT

Post by SciB »

Hi jesus1199,

Welcome to the Ask an Expert forum. I'll try to help you but i need a bit more information.

Did you graph the average % of you and your volunteers maximum heart rate? That was the final calculation asked for in the procedure where you divided the measured heart rate by the maximum heart rate for the person's age and multiplied by 100 to get the %.

The question that you are asking in this project is whether exergaming is really a form of exercise. The project procedure gives the definition of 'exercise' as reaching a heart rate of 50% or greater of your maximum heart rate.

For example, if you are 16 years old then your max heart rate would be 200 bpm. If you play the game hard and get your heart pumping at 160 bpm then you would divide this by 200 which = 0.8 times 100 = 80%. Your workout is at 80% of max and that's definitely exercise!

Your data analysis is to see if the average % heart rate is 50% or above. If your graphing program has the option, you could plot the % on the y axis as a bar for each person and run a line across the chart at 50%. Then you could easily see whose heart rate was above 50% and by how much.

I hope I've answered your question. I'm curious to know what kind of workout these exergames can give you, so please let me know how your graph comes out.

SciB
grace7177
Former Expert
Project Question: Biochemistry
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: science fair project help URGENT

Post by grace7177 »

Welcome to Science Buddies!

SciB has given you some excellent advice.

In addition, I want to suggest you to create a data table that includes the following: Volunteer, Trial #, Age, Maximum Heart Rate (bpm), Resting Pulse (beats per 10 seconds), Resting Heart Rate (bpm), Exergaming Pulse (beats per 10 seconds), and Exergaming Heart Rate (bpm).

For making your graph (bar graph or line graph), you can use this site http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/default.aspx.

Note that important equations for your experiment are:
heart rate = (# of pulse beats in 10 seconds) × 6 and % maximum heart rate during exergaming = exergaming heart rate
maximum heart rate × 100

Good luck!

-Grace

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”