problems in applying engineering design process

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

yesiamsumit
Project Question: Not yet decided
Project Due Date: 20 October 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

problems in applying engineering design process

Post by yesiamsumit »

I have a question about using engineering design process. Do we add a hypothesis and variables (controlled, independent and dependent) in the project report?
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: problems in applying engineering design process

Post by amyc »

Hi - A lot will depend on what the requirements are for your class assignment or science fair project. Many times, though you will follow the engineering design process for your project, you will need to submit a report that is similar to the report for a traditional science project. It would document, however, the stages of the experimental design process, as applied to the challenge or problem being targeted by the student's project. https://www.sciencebuddies.org/engineer ... ignprocess

If you look at our list of materials/sections to include in a science project final report, you will see that many of these are applicable for an engineering project as well.

In terms of the "Question, variables, and hypothesis" portion: for engineering, the question would be a statement about wanting to design something that fulfills XYZ need that has been identified; the hypothesis is what will be built and the specific design specifications it will fulfill; the variables will be specifications that the engineered solution will be judged successful or not against.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”