Question about making the video game!

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

shane912
Project Question: To program a simple video game that can be customized, as desired, and to determine the factors that affect the game's score. This is what my summary is for the project so i was just wondering if it had to be about a cat and a dog or if it could be about another kind of game.
Project Due Date: May 7, 2013
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Question about making the video game!

Post by shane912 »

Hey guys i am doing the project where you make a video game using scratch. i was wanting to know if it had to be about a cat or a dog because i read the summary and this is what it said "To program a simple video game that can be customized, as desired, and to determine the factors that affect the game's score." So yeah i was wondering if as long as it has it in there if i could make it for the fair. Thanks! :)
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about making the video game!

Post by theborg »

shane912,

Welcome to Science Buddies and thanks for your question. This is an interesting project for beginner programmers. It is designed to walk you though the basic steps of programming in the context of a pre-decided game scenario (i.e. cat vs dog chase). This should get a user comfortable with the program interface and functions. However, the chase construct could be programmed using any "sprite" you want. It doesn't have to be the dog or cat. To change the premise from a game of chase to something else, you begin to divert from this project and venture down a path of your own...which could be really cool and probably much more interesting, but would require you to have a well though out game construct and a good working knowledge of the program.

As for your question if it is an appropriate project for your fair, you will need to talk with your school, teacher and/or science fair coordinator (whoever would review and accept your project) on the rules for project entries.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”