electrolytic cells

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

lorie78
Project Question: i want to learn and acquire additional information about investigatory projects
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

electrolytic cells

Post by lorie78 »

i just want to ask how electrodes in a galvanic cell are connected if it will be used to power a bulb. if the electrodes are soaked in the electrolyte, how are they connected to each other and to the bulb?
thank you very much. :idea:
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: electrolytic cells

Post by Craig_Bridge »

If you look at the first drawing in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_cell, you can see that the annode and cathode electrodes have ends that are not in the electrolyte solution. This means that you can make connections to them without adding a different metal into the electrolyte solution.

Assuming that the DC voltage produced by a single cell is appropriate to light your bulb and your bulb isn't an LED or other device that only works when current flows in one direction, then you need a simple series circuit. Connect a wire to the annode and one of the bulb contacts. Connect the other bulb contact to a second wire and the other end of that wire to the cathode.
-Craig
lorie78
Project Question: i want to learn and acquire additional information about investigatory projects
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by lorie78 »

thank you very much, sir. my students were able to follow your procedure and were able to make the bulb glow.
Ggipunjab
Project Question: I am a student and doing the civil engineering and i have some queries about my study..
Project Due Date: 17 july
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by Ggipunjab »

Very interesting , I m going to try make the bulb glow at home.
Find and search B.Tech colleges in Punjab
Website - http://ggi.ac.in/btech_it.html

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”