Lost my mentor - what can I do?

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

blueswim
Project Question: Applying evolutionary algorithms to a Monte Carlo Tree Search
Project Due Date: September 20, 2013 (to allow for snail mail, etc.)
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Lost my mentor - what can I do?

Post by blueswim »

Hello,
As the title may suggest, I have lost my mentor. She has said she is busier because she's teaching an additional class this year.

I think I have what it takes to finish the project; however, I have no idea what to do for the mentor part in top competitions such as Intel STS.

So I have
1) What should I do about my mentor situation?
2) Since I don't have a mentor anyways, should I work on my half finished project or should I work on another project I'm doing for which I never had a mentor?
wendellwiggins
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Lost my mentor - what can I do?

Post by wendellwiggins »

Hello blueswim,

You seem to have a very tough situation. As you say, you have no mentor and may not be able to get another. In that case, if you have accomplished a significant amount of work, I would think you are better off finishing up if, as you say, "I think I have what it takes to finish the project." Of course, you should try to find another mentor if you can. If not, when asked about your mentor, you could list the one you had and say that she had to drop out of helping you.

Even though the time is short, use whatever resources you have to find another, but don't wait to finish the project ASAP. A new mentor could at least review your work and comment on your presentation.

Sorry about your situation. I hope you find a way out.

Good luck, WW
blueswim

Post by blueswim »

For Siemens at least, I think I could submit without a mentor. I did that last year and got somewhere with that. I just asked my AP Bio teacher. However, she retired, so she cannot this year. Siemens is the one that has a deadline at the end of September.

However, Intel requires an online form to be filled out by the mentor. I have until the end of October (to allow for mailing) to find a mentor.

Thanks for the suggestions!

blueswim
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by amyc »

Hi BlueSwim - I did some looking at the 2014 Intel STS rule guide.

It looks like you need someone to complete the Project Recommendation form:
Project Recommendation: completed online by the person closest to the student’s research. The head of a lab should only complete this if he or she worked with the student closely.
If you are not working with a mentor, is there another teacher that you can talk with, bring up to speed about your project, and ask to complete the paperwork? That person may not necessarily have to be working directly on the project. Maybe you should talk with a school administrator, explain the situation and your desire to apply to Intel STS and other advanced competitions, and see if they can help you procure the help of a teacher? (You also have to have an "Educator Recommendation and a High School Report completed by a school official.) You could explain to a teacher what you had been working on with the previous mentor, etc., and in your paperwork, you could explain the history. Is it possible that you could talk with the previous mentor, explaining that you understand that she is unable to continue actively mentoring you but seeing if she could help complete the form since she is most aware of the project you are doing?

Trying to find a replacement mentor to help you further your research is, of course, a good thing as you continue to prepare for and work toward these advanced competitions. But you may want to tackle the two problems separately!

Here is the url for the 2014 rules PDF: http://www.societyforscience.org/document.doc?id=403

Let us know how it goes! And good luck with your continued research.

Amy
Science Buddies
blueswim

Post by blueswim »

It turns out she can do the Project Recommendation, since the deadline's in 2 months, so that's a problem solved. Phew.

Thanks,
blueswim

Return to “Getting Started”