Re: Home remedies for lowering cholesterol---

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sanumula1
Project Question: Re: Science fair project "The Effectiveness of Cholesterol Lowering Home Remedies compared to Medication “. Website link:http://www.virtualsciencefair.org/2012/vaniya. Fat is mixed with solutions of different solutions and the fat left after some fixed time is measured. They also measured something called "residue" before and after the experiment which do not understand. what is "residue" exactly in the experiment?
Project Due Date: November, but details to be given by September 15th.
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by sanumula1 »

My daughter is planning to do a science fair project on "Effect of home remedies on lowering cholesterol". A Similar project "The Effectiveness of Cholesterol Lowering Home Remedies compared to Medication “ with Website link:http://www.virtualsciencefair.org/2012/vaniya gives ideas about how to do this. Fat is mixed with solutions of different solutions and the fat left after some fixed time is measured. They also measured something called "residue" before and after the experiment which was not very clear. what is "residue" exactly in this experiment? She needs to give the details before September 15th.
Thank you
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

Hi Sanumula,

That’s a great idea for a project! Heart disease is still a major problem in the world and saturated fat in the diet contributes to plaque build-up in the arteries that can cause high blood pressure.

There is one thing you need to think about in such a project. Drugs for lowering cholesterol do not act on cholesterol itself. They work by inhibiting the body’s cholesterol building enzymes. You can reduce the amount of cholesterol you eat by choosing foods low in cholesterol, but your body still makes it. That’s why cholesterol-lowering medication may be necessary.

The drug Crestor used in the science fair project you mentioned online is one of the statins. These drugs inhibit one of the enzymes that are part of the synthetic pathway in your body that makes cholesterol. This drug has no direct effect on cholesterol itself.

In your project, it sounds like you are looking for herbal extracts or natural substance such as apple cider vinegar that may either reduce the uptake of bad fats or speed up their removal from the body. You can use the materials and follow the procedures given in the website, but I would omit Creator since there is no basis for it to have any effect on fat. You could do a search online and see if there are any other herbal extracts or food supplements such as chitosan, fat-busters, or some other reputed diet remedies that are supposed to work by eliminating fat.

As for the ‘residue’ mentioned in the online procedure, I think they mean any bits of something that came out of solution and collected on the bottom of the beaker. They were not clear about what ‘pig fat’ they used, but I would assume plain old white lard would work.

If you have more questions, please post again and I will try to help.

Best wishes,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”