Question and Hypothesis for NANORG project.

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AgentD1
Project Question: How to program NANORGs?
Project Due Date: January.
Project Status: Not applicable

Question and Hypothesis for NANORG project.

Post by AgentD1 »

I have to do a powerpoint on my science fair project so I was wondering what the question and hypothesis would be for the NANORG project.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Question and Hypothesis for NANORG project.

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello! An excellent question. I assume you are talking about this project:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p021.shtml

When talking about a hypothesis, you are talking about a step in the Scientific Method. Did you know there is another methodology? It is called the Engineering Method. We need to distinguish the difference between a scientist and an engineer for this discussion. Both seek answers but to different questions for different purposes. A scientist uses the Scientific Method to gain further knowledge about a question in nature. An engineer uses the Engineering Method to create something new to answer the question "who needs what and why?" Since you are writing a computer program, you are creating something new.

Take a look here to read about the difference between the two. Follow the links at the bottom to compare the scientific method and engineering design process.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... thod.shtml

Part of the Engineering Method isn't to ask a question and formulate a hypothesis. Instead, you must draft a problem statement describing "who needs what and why."
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/engineer ... ment.shtml

Review the information in the links I provided and see if you can define your problem statement. Be sure to write back if you have any more questions.

Good luck!
Deana
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

Yes that was the project I was talking about. However, my teacher wants us to use the scientific method with the hypothesis and everything. She looked at the project and said it was fine but I have to use the scientific method because it's a science fair project. What I have right now is a series of hypotheses with one variable changed each time.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

What are your hypotheses and variables?
Deana
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

Hypothesis 1 - If the NANORG is able to differentiate between sludge with energy and dangerous sludge, then it will be able to collect energy more efficiently.
That's really the only good one I have right now. Do you have anything else? I'd like to have more to do with this project.
Sort of ok:
Hypothesis 2:- If the NANORG can find the quickest route to a collection point and remember this route, then it will be able to collect energy more efficiently.
NedMattiace
Project Question: NedMattiace
Project Due Date: 2014-9-15
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by NedMattiace »

In this modern and high technology world which is also called the “information era”. There is no doubt that people now want to own the life that is safe and free and do the thing that they like and want to do. And usually such kind of life is not so easy to own for some people and as they are monitored by some device. If so the simple rf jammer can be your good assistant.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”