"Is there such a thing as too much gaming?" variations

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

pandicaneLT-IN
Project Question: Analyzing the results of a survey from over 3,000 MMORPG players to decide what qualifies as addiction and discover the fraction of players who are or do become addicted to MMORPGs and the severity of the addiction.
Project Due Date: 12/17/13
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

"Is there such a thing as too much gaming?" variations

Post by pandicaneLT-IN »

I have completed the basics of this project save for the conclusion and am looking to add something to make it more interesting. Knowing the "videogame addiction score" of each player, I wondered whether it would be more practical and/or interesting to ask about/analyze the age, gender, or preferred game of the player in relation to the level of addiction. I could do all three; my only concern is that it will get to be too much information to process in one science project.
link to the project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary
Thank you for your input! :D
hhemken
Former Expert

Re: "Is there such a thing as too much gaming?" variations

Post by hhemken »

pandicaneLT-IN,

How many subjects do you have? You can try making charts separately comparing gender, age ranges, or preferred game or game type. Each category in each chart should have several subjects, and all categories in a chart should have roughly the same number of subjects, although it's OK if a few categories are smallish compared to the others.

How many subjects do you have?
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum
pandicaneLT-IN
Project Question: Analyzing the results of a survey from over 3,000 MMORPG players to decide what qualifies as addiction and discover the fraction of players who are or do become addicted to MMORPGs and the severity of the addiction.
Project Due Date: 12/17/13
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by pandicaneLT-IN »

I did a comparison of percent of each gender addicted, but I was having trouble manipulating excel to do what I wanted. Not a problem with maybe 100 subjects, but there's over 3000! In the end it turns out that twice as many males were addicted as females (percentage wise).
Excel kept saying "some data may be lost" which I wasn't sure what to do about. :? I had to make do with what I had- project due tomorrow. :oops:
hhemken
Former Expert

Post by hhemken »

pandicaneLT-IN,

Don't give up yet! Learning how to use spreadsheets is very much worth the effort. Keep at it and learn something new each time. Creating charts that make the relationships in the data obvious to a viewer is a valuable skill.

Good luck!
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”