Hypothesis?

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Lizofthefuture
Project Question: My science fair project is how the body reacts and there is no experiments in it (just research) how do you write a hypothesis without doing a experiment?
Project Due Date: January the 25th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Hypothesis?

Post by Lizofthefuture »

Can you have a Hypothesis without doing an experiment? My Science Fair Project is about how the body reacts to the human body.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Hypothesis?

Post by tdaly »

Hi Lizofthefuture,

Are you doing a science fair project that requires you to do an experiment? Or, do you have a hypothesis in your head, but you don't plan to test it? Formulating a hypothesis usually happens before doing an experiment. In fact, our hypothesis determines what kind of experiment we do. This Science Buddies article has a great discussion about how to formulate a hypothesis: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... esis.shtml. If you post back with more details, I will be better able to help you.
All the best,
Terik
Lizofthefuture
Project Question: My science fair project is how the body reacts and there is no experiments in it (just research) how do you write a hypothesis without doing a experiment?
Project Due Date: January the 25th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by Lizofthefuture »

At my school's science fair you have to have a hypothesis, but I thought that you had to do an experiment to have a hypothesis?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Hi Lizofthefuture,

Thanks for clarifying! No, you do not have to do an experiment to have a hypothesis. Hypotheses come before experiments do, and there are lots of hypotheses that don't get tested. I have a couple in my head that have been lurking there for years now, just waiting for the time, money, and means to test them!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”