NANORG project ideas

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AgentD1
Project Question: How to program NANORGs?
Project Due Date: January.
Project Status: Not applicable

NANORG assembler help

Post by AgentD1 »

Are there any good tutorials for the assembler code used in the NANORG project?
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: NANORG project ideas

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. We noticed you had three different topic threads going for your project. We have merged them into one topic. Please keep all questions for your project under the same thread. This will help our mentors best answer your questions based on what has already been discussed.

As far as tutorials for the programming language go, I didn't find anything with a quick Google search. There are instructions included in the .zip file you should have downloaded. Did you read through those instructions? There are examples in the instructions and in the procedures section of the project description here:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary

As far as project ideas go, the objective is to maximize the number of energy points collected. You must write your program to manipulate your NANORGs in such a way to maximize amount of energy points collected while dealing with all of the problems presented to you:
1. Energy is used for your NANORGs to operate
2. Malicious NANORGs
3. Toxic sludge

There are two types of projects you could do. One using the scientific method, which asks a question about something in nature that you wish to further investigate. The other type of project is one using the Engineering Method. This method is used when you wish to create something new. This project follows the engineering method, which does not involve constructing a hypothesis. You can learn more about the differences between the two methods here:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/engineer ... thod.shtml

I hope this helps. Please write back (on this thread) if you still have questions.
Deana
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

Thanks for the help found the instructions in the zip.
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

In the project, it tells me to base some of my program off the wining ones. Where are these programs located?
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Review the "Using the seed command" section of the procedures. It explains there.
Deana
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

dcnick96 wrote:Review the "Using the seed command" section of the procedures. It explains there.
Do you have any actual URLs? I can't find anything with just a google search...
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

AgentD1 wrote:
dcnick96 wrote:Review the "Using the seed command" section of the procedures. It explains there.
Do you have any actual URLs? I can't find anything with just a google search...
I found a few that I could use but nothing directly from Symantec.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Where are you seeing the project recommend you basing your some of your program off of the winning ones? It discusses you comparing your results to the winning scores, but I didn't see a recommendation to base your program off of the winning ones. You probably won't find the winning code on the internet, as that would provide an unfair advantage to those competing in future competitions, like yourself. If you do a simple Google search of "nanorg science project," you will find some discussions from other students and their scores. You can compare your scores to that.

I noticed the link to more information on the contest is a broken link. We will report that. We apologize for any confusion that may have caused.

Good luck!
Deana
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

dcnick96 wrote:Where are you seeing the project recommend you basing your some of your program off of the winning ones? It discusses you comparing your results to the winning scores, but I didn't see a recommendation to base your program off of the winning ones. You probably won't find the winning code on the internet, as that would provide an unfair advantage to those competing in future competitions, like yourself. If you do a simple Google search of "nanorg science project," you will find some discussions from other students and their scores. You can compare your scores to that.

I noticed the link to more information on the contest is a broken link. We will report that. We apologize for any confusion that may have caused.

Good luck!
Oh that would make more sense. It's fine i was just wondering about that original link which was why i asked. Thank you.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

You're welcome. Good luck, and let us know how the rest of your project goes!
Deana
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

dcnick96 wrote:You're welcome. Good luck, and let us know how the rest of your project goes!
Is there anywhere you can get me started? Either ideas/actual code?
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Review the procedures section of the project. They provide some required lines of code and emphasize you read the instructions and look at the example code provided by Symantec. The key to programming is to start small. Don't try to achieve everything at once. Divide your project into sections, starting with an easy objective. Once your code works well and achieves that objective, move on to programming a bigger objective. Continue this process until you reach your final objective.

Good luck!
Deana
AgentD1

Post by AgentD1 »

dcnick96 wrote:Review the procedures section of the project. They provide some required lines of code and emphasize you read the instructions and look at the example code provided by Symantec. The key to programming is to start small. Don't try to achieve everything at once. Divide your project into sections, starting with an easy objective. Once your code works well and achieves that objective, move on to programming a bigger objective. Continue this process until you reach your final objective.

Good luck!
Thanks. I think I'm going to start with seeing which movement pattern is the best and then move on to energy collection and other more complicated things.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

That sounds like a great plan. Good luck!
Deana
Leafpool314

Science Fair

Post by Leafpool314 »

I have a science fair coming up in January, and I need ideas that involve computer science or possibly soccer. Some of my ideas have been rejected by my teacher. I could use excel to make spreadsheets if need be. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”