Lab books and triptych, Yeesh!!

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

kevindakilla

Lab books and triptych, Yeesh!!

Post by kevindakilla »

I dont really understand how to make a lab book, because I am designing an innovation. I would also like to know of any ways to make my triptych more attractive. Thanks!! I really appreciate it :)
geoffbruton
Former Expert

Post by geoffbruton »

Hi Kevin,

In it's simplest form, a lab book is a kind of journal used by scientists. Essentially, it will contain all of your data created throughout your experiment, in the form of your objective, method, results and conclusions. This allows you to look back over your evolving project and, when necessary, go back and double-check your findings and determine why you did what you did. The book is usually bound in some fashion - so that you can't tear pages out! It is important for scientists to be able to look back at things that seemed to go wrong, too. In fact, many of sciences greatest discoveries were made when things did not quite go as planned.

With regards to your triptych, your lab book can include the many different designs you considered and why you ultimately went with your final design. Your lab book is meant to include failures as well as successes, and should conform to the Scientific Method (look that up if you haven't already). As for making your triptych more attractive, we may need some more information as to what it is meant to show. As with many things, the simplest and most clear design is often the best. The more complicated something appears, the more likely the viewer will be to 'switch off'.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Good luck!
Geoff.
Geoff Bruton
Firearm & Toolmark Section
Ventura County Sheriff's Department
Forensic Sciences Laboratory
thetrans1ent

Post by thetrans1ent »

Don't forget dating, and try to use pen.

As Geoff. mentioned already, pages aren't meant to be torn out. Thus, consider getting one of those notebooks without perforations.

Hope that helps.
drago76

Post by drago76 »

Yeah, like a composition notebook.

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”