"How Fast is Your Computer" Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).
cheko

"How Fast is Your Computer" Question

Post by cheko »

I finally got a simple and short question. In the article https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home it tells you how to use a applet timing. The only thing it is that it doesn't tell you where you can get it! :shock: Where do I get the specific applet this article is talking about? I can just pray to god that it's going to be an easy answer. :wink:
Im che-ko the majorly confused person whos doing a science fair project.
raytrent
Former Expert

Post by raytrent »

The applet is automatically downloaded by going to that webpage. You can see it about half way down. I don't know whether the source code for the applet is available, though... is that what you were asking?
../ray\..
cheko

Post by cheko »

humm let me think. U got me confused again. u did check out the link right??? just skim it to the applet timing. I think thats what im asking though. I need the applet timing in order to conduct this experiment. I just dont no where to get the timing applet. Please check out the link
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

As Ray said, the webpage for that project automatically loads the Java applet. It appears on the webpage in the "Experimental Procedure" section, directly under this text:

"Note: if you see a gray box with a red "X" in the corner, you will need to update your Java Runtime Environment in order to run this applet. Go to http://www.java.com to get the latest version."

Directly underneath that text, do you see a gray and white interface with round buttons and larger square buttons labeled "Clear" and "Run"? If so, that's the applet. If not, then we need to figure out if you have Java installed, and whether it is enabled in your browser.
cheko

Post by cheko »

k ill check it out man
cheko

Post by cheko »

Ok I can see the gray box and it doesn't have the red x. I see the gray box and only the gray box and I don't see clear and run. So I went to internet options and went to the advanced tab. Then I scrolled down to Java VM and put a check mark in all three boxes in this category. I put a check in "Java console enabled (requires restart), Java logging enabled and JIT complier for virtual machine enabled (requires restart)". I then restarted my computer but it was still the same. I'll check out Java.com but if that's not the answer is there any other possibilities why it is not working?[/img]
cheko

Post by cheko »

NNNNOOOOOOO!! I've been kicking my butt about this project and guess wut? I go to download Java and it says that I don't have enough memory on my computer! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Well I guess I get a BIG fat 0 on my science fair and now I'll have to work my butt off from being in 90's to just passing science. Do you think there's an older version of Java that is runible and takes up less memory? or am I just screwed over easy? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
raytrent
Former Expert

Post by raytrent »

I suspect that the applet requires a fairly new version of Java or they wouldn't have that message.

Do you have access to a computer at school, or perhaps at a library that might work?

Actually, though, you don't really need to use that applet in order to do this project. Any kind of benchmarking software will work just as well. Searching google for "benchmark freeware" pointed me to http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/ , which seems to have numerous programs that can be freely downloaded and which can measure computer performance.

In fact, using a variety of benchmark programs would make for a much better science project anyway. I'm not all that terribly impressed with the project as it's shown... but that's because it's supposed to be a starting point for you to build on, not an entire project on its own.
cheko

Post by cheko »

K thanks man ill check it out. I still think im sol cuz even if I find a another way to do this project this set back still make me sol. Yes we have computers at school but im using that computer as my new computer and my old computer as my older computer.
cheko

Post by cheko »

:? err um i cant download stuff on school computers. I don't know what I'm going to do! :cry:
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Don't give up! It's often difficult to get computers to do exactly what you want, but you'll learn a lot when you overcome the obstacles.

Here are some other approaches you could try, and I bet the other experts here will have many more ideas.

1) Ask your computer support people at school to assist you with installing a benchmark program for this project. If you tell them exactly what you are doing, they might be able to help.

2) Download and run a benchmark program only on your home computer. Instead of comparing the same benchmark for different computers, compare different benchmarks on the same computer.

3) Find some program that is already installed on both computers and manually time how long it takes for that program to run some large task. For example, most versions of windows have the program notepad.exe, usually found in the start menu under "programs" then "accessories". You could type the letter "a" 100 times in a row then copy and paste that row ten more times, and then copy and paste that block of text 10 more times. Then you can manually time how long it takes notepad to replace all instances of the letter a with the letter b. (In the menu, select edit, then replace). Ideally you'd want the exact same version of the program on both computers (usually the version number is found by checking under the "help" menu and selecting "about [program]" where [program] would be the name of whatever program you're running).
cheko

Post by cheko »

hey, im not out of the hole yet but i got some good news for once! :D :D :D :D I talked to my teacher and she said that i can change my topic or do what ever. Another thing is that my sister called and said she'll drop off my ACTUAL computer next week. I like ChrisG's #2 idea but i don't no if i should hold back in do that cuz i'm not fairly fimilar with bench marks. It would making staying with this project a gamble. If i choose another topic ill have to find a topic where i can do at home with no running around to get products (easy sci fair topic). So got any iders? She wants my reply on monday (fed 13) and the sci fair is due on the 20th. She was smart she put the due date a week before so we wouldn't procreatinate at it. :?

Return to “Math & Computer Science Sponsored by Hyperion Solutions Corp”