Plant cryopreservation graph

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Oliver

Plant cryopreservation graph

Post by Oliver »

my experiment is the effects of preserving seeds in dry ice, but cannot figure out how to set up the graph for results. I recorded the germination progress of frozen seeds and un-frozen seeds for two weeks.
science kid

re:Plant cryopreservation graph

Post by science kid »

hey, i think i can be able to help. your topic is not what is called an experimental project. what you are doing is called an observative science project. this is very difficult because u would need a major amount of pictures showing the reaction to the seeds in the dry ice. o wu said that u need help setting up the graph. that is kinda simple of u come to thik about it.

Here is how to set it up:

1) use 2 diffrent colors, one for the frozen seeds and 1 for the un-frozen seeds.
2) now record the change in 1 day, 2days, 3 days, etc.
3) now put in a graph form. bellow i made a scetch graph of wat i think might be useful in your case.

germination |
progress |
|
|
|
|
|
L_1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8_9_10_11_12_13_14 ---->

AMOUNT OF DAYS

i hope i was of help. if it doesn't work, then try something similatr, jst remember, it doesn't always have to be a line graph. it can be a pie graph, a bar graph, etc.

GOOD LUCK! :wink:
carolinethorn
Former Expert

Post by carolinethorn »

Hi Oliver,

What kinds of measurments were you making?
How many seeds do you have in each group?
Was there any variation within each group with how they grew, ie. did some frozen ones grow better than other frozen ones ?

You could do a bar graph, where one bar is the mean result for frozen and the other is the mean result for unfrozen and the y-axis is germination progress.
Mean is the average measured by adding all of the results in the group together and then dividing by the number of measurements in the group.
If you see variation between seeds in the group you could measure the "standard deviation" in each group and then add that to the bar - this can be done fairly simply in microsoft excel. (and people here on the board can help if you need it or if want to calculate by hand or do not have access to excel)

Another type of average is the "median'. This is the mid-point of all of the results in the group. People sometimes use a graph called a box and whisker plot to show th emedian and spread of results, but that is usually for large data sets. (20 or more results in each group)

If you got yes/no types of results. For example if you could only tell if seeds germinated or didn't you could do a pie chart representation to show the proportion of seeds that germinated that were frozen compared to unfrozen. You can do this type of graph in excel too. Or you can draw it by hand with a protractor. You would need to work out the proportion of the degrees of the circle for each condition. So, for example if 36 seeds total germinated and 12 were frozen and 24 were unfrozen. Then you would divide the number of degress in the circle by the number of seeds germinated (360/36 = 10 degrees). Each germinated seed would get 10 degrees. So for frozen seeds, 10 degrees x 12 seeds = 120 degrees of the circle. For unfrozen seeds, 10 degrees x 24 seeds = 240 degrees of the circle.

Have a think about the different types of things you would like to do. You can do more than one type.
Best of luck.
Caroline
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Thank you for the suggestions. We tried to enter data for an excel line graph with x axis is the # of days, Y axis is Germination Progress (Seed; germinate; sprout; stem growth;leaves) Maybe we don't know how to use excel but we cannot get a useable line graph. Maybe pie or other would be better.

Oliver recorded observations every day of growth progress of unfrozen seeds (5 each of lima, onion, corn, cauliflower & lettuce) and 5 each of frozen with lots of pictures of each. Just seems to be too much information to get in one graph.

Some of the seeds got moldy and died. Only 2-3 of each actually germinated if at all.
carolinethorn
Former Expert

Post by carolinethorn »

Hi,

You have a lot of different variables here so don't try and squish it into one graph. You can do lots with all of this, its great! And you don't need to use excel. There are other ways to get good looking figures.
I would recommend slicing the data many different ways to demonstrate its variety.

So first off I would go with a pie similar to i suggested above, a yes/no frozen and unfrozen. (so merge all of the different categories of germination together.)
This is a global measure of how successful frozen seeds were at germinating compared to unfrozen.

Then you can start getting more detailed questions. You could look at one seed type. You could do a line graph where you give each germination category a score - 0 for seed, 1 point for germinates, 2 for sprouts, 3 for stem, 4 for leaves. So for each seed you could have its progress by day. For example lets say an unfrozen lima seed was sucessful at germinating on day 3, it had sprout on day 4, stem on day 10 and leaves on day 12. Then I would put into the excel sheet the score per day.
(each of those numbers would go into a new cell, at the top i would put on the columns day 1, day 2 etc)
then in the next row i would represent the next lima seed and put its score. and so on.
If you don't want to do it with excel you could simply draw the lines on a chart. Keeping flat as the seed doesnt change and then up to the next level when it changes germination progress state.
I would probably only put 5 on one graph - just all of the unfrozen limas, at a push you could put frozen and unfrozen limas on one graph without it getting too messy if you stick to 2 colours, one for frozen and one for unfrozen.
Then do the same thing for the frozen.
Then for the onion and so on.
You will start to notice the trends (if you havent already from just watching them)

Maybe pick the best ones to put on the display board - the most extreme. Perhaps frozen lima are so hardy they are as good as unfrozen lettuce. or unfrozen lima had the best success rate of germination. Then i would show those 3.

best of luck,
Caroline
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Who are you guys? Thank You

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”