need an expert on color blindness

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

ojuice2010

need an expert on color blindness

Post by ojuice2010 »

i need a title and a catagory my project. it is about how the stroop effect test affects color blind people. Help!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!
hiramuzammal
Former Expert

Post by hiramuzammal »

Here's a link to help you come up with a title for your project:
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/fair.html

Your project may fall under the psychology category, but you can ask your teacher this question.
carolinethorn
Former Expert

Post by carolinethorn »

Hi,

I am a little confused about how you ordered your question.
I think you really mean how does colour-blindness effect results of the Stroop test.

Lets recap on all of the background...

The Stroop test is words that spell colours written in different colours.
A person taking the test is supposed to say what colours the words are not the words written. It is very hard for most people to say green for a green word if the word spelled out is red.

Colour blind people see two colours as the same. Usually it is red and green that look the same.

So, what exactly are you testing?
Does your Stroop test have colours that might look the same to a colour blind person?
Are the colours that look the same a similar shade? - I am not sure about this but i think a dark green might look different from a light green or a light red to a red-green colour blind person.

This sounds like an interesting project. Let us know some more so we can do a better job of helping.
Best of luck,
Caroline
thetrans1ent

Post by thetrans1ent »

Even if you're testing how colorblindness affects results of the Stroop test, I'd imagine that the main difference will only be that colorblind people will misname the colors they have trouble differentiating, which is obvious given their condition.

Of course, if what's being tested is instead whether colorblind people perform as well as non-colorblind people in naming the color and not reciting the text, you'd have to make sure that various perception-related celebral functions per group are roughly equal, which would be difficult (i.e., if the non-colorblind people chosen for this experiment turn out to be extremely careless people, the test results may indicate that colorblind people are not tricked as easily by the Stroop test--a conclusion that may not be accurate due to confounding variables).

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”