Thermal Vision and Mirrors

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

billyrotomu92
Project Question: Curiosity for science and life
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Thermal Vision and Mirrors

Post by billyrotomu92 »

Hi, I have a question: I'm curious about thermal vision, and my question is this...

If two guys are in a dark room and one of the guys has thermal vision googles and directs them to a mirror in a fashion that he would be able to see the other guy's reflection under normal conditions, what would he see?

a) Would he see the shape of the guy in reds and oranges and yellows reflected in the mirror, or
b) Would he see a flat blue surface (cold) that the mirror would normally be?
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Thermal Vision and Mirrors

Post by bfinio »

Hi billyrotomu92,

This is an interesting question. I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but I think I can point you in the right direction to figure it out. Visible light, what we see with our human eyes, is just a narrow part of the electromagnetic spectrum:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... s_edit.svg

Mirrors reflect visible light quite well, which is why you can see regular reflections in a mirror. "Thermal vision" detects infrared light, which is given off by hot objects, and is just outside the range of visible light that we can see. So, whether or not you can see thermal reflections in a mirror depends on whether they reflect infrared light well. I bet you can figure this out with a google search for "Do mirrors reflect infrared light". Of course, if you can get your hands on a pair of infrared goggles, you could do an experiment to find out!
Sambokaf
Project Question: Student
Project Due Date: solution that you have time to complete
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Thermal Vision and Mirrors

Post by Sambokaf »

I have read that something like this is very good.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”