Graphing data for science fair project

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

proscience15
Project Question: Organic/Inorganic Chemistry - Science Fair Project
Project Due Date: October 1, 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Graphing data for science fair project

Post by proscience15 »

Hi!

I need help with graphing my data for science fair. I know I want to use a bar chart, but I have several variables and I am not sure how many bar graphs I need to generate.

My independent variables are:
dye material - red cabbage, mint leaves, turmeric, onion skin (I did 3 trials on each type of dye material)
animal fiber - wool, silk
mordant - alum, iron

My dependent variables are:
Hue
Saturation
Brightness
exposure to sunlight

Should I make a separate bar graph for each type of dye material? I am so confused!

Any help would be great! Thank you!
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Graphing data for science fair project

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. Congratulations on finishing your experiment!

Bar charts are a great way to present results. It is also easy to fall into "chart overload." The key to deciding what data to present and how is answering "so what?" Meaning, if the chart doesn't present interesting or useful data, then there really is no point in making a chart. You also want to ensure the chart is easy enough for the reader that isn't familiar with the data or experiment to understand the results.

I assume you want to present whether your different independent variables had an effect on your different dependent variables. Since you have multiple independent variables and levels within each variable, I recommend a grouped bar chart. Using different colors and groupings to represent different levels of your independent variable is a nice, compact way for readers to determine which independent variables have an effect on the dependent variable. I also recommend making a separate chart for each dependent variable.

An example of a grouped bar chart is below.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/ZkvI1.png

Based on the example and my description, see if you can think of how you would present your specific data. Then, feel free to write back if you have further questions.

Good luck!
Deana
proscience15
Project Question: Organic/Inorganic Chemistry - Science Fair Project
Project Due Date: October 1, 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by proscience15 »

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate the example you attached to your message. This was exactly how I graphed my data. I feel much more confident knowing that I am using the correct format.

Thanks! :D
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Awesome! Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”