URGENT! HELP! PLEASE!

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).
natyal1234567891011

URGENT! HELP! PLEASE!

Post by natyal1234567891011 »

Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• I have a real serious question.
    Turn out my teacher wants a math project!
    I have been working on my science project, now he wants math.
    Please give me some ideas!
    I mean, everything is invented in math.
    What project to do ???????

PLEASE HELP!
THANKS 8)
Hello,if you are reading this messege please help me! I need to know if fire cannot turn on without air because it needs oxygen to turn on. I really need your help and would appreciate it.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home
That's the place to start. Let us know if you need more help after having read some of those descriptions.
paulsdecarli
Former Expert

Possible Math Projects

Post by paulsdecarli »

I agree that it is a lot to expect a student to come up with some brand new Math. However, something you can do is put together some things that are already known. For example, there are several different (paper and pencil, no computer) methods for calculating a square root. You could compare the methods. Is one better than the other for large numbers? Is one faster for small numbers?

Another thing is to simply present a proof of some method that you and your classmates learned to use in class but didn't prove. For example, you probably learned to use the sum of the digits technique to determine whether a large number was divisible by three or nine. There is a neat proof that you can look up and present.
Taed
Former Expert

Post by Taed »

You didn't mention your grade, but I'm guessing that you're in middle or high school.

I went to a science fair the other day for K through 3rd grade. The best example of a math-based expermiment was opening a huge bag of M&Ms, and then counting how many M&Ms of each color there were. They then plotted their results on a histogram chart. For those kids, that was a good experiment. For you, it would be too simple.

So, perhaps you could also do an experiment on math reflections in the world. What is the distribution of flower petals across the same and different types of flowers? How long does it take things to fall from different heights? What is the most efficient way to "pack" different shapes into a box?

The link that a previous person posted will also give you some great ideas.
aznnerd666

Post by aznnerd666 »

i have an idea...assuming that you are in middle school or high school of course... try to find a method of folding a piece of origami paper into thirds by using only that piece of paper...it takes a bit of geometry to figure it out...

aznnerd666 :twisted:

Return to “Math & Computer Science Sponsored by Hyperion Solutions Corp”