Help! Standard Deviation Sci Fair Nov 4

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

proscience15
Project Question: Organic/Inorganic Chemistry - Science Fair Project
Project Due Date: October 1, 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Help! Standard Deviation Sci Fair Nov 4

Post by proscience15 »

Hi!

My science fair project board is due Nov. 4th and I am having difficulty figuring out how to apply my data in calculating the standard deviation.

My data consists of hue (degrees), saturation (%), and brightness (%) for four different colors of dye (red, purple, yellow, orange) on two types of fabrics (wool and silk). I also experimented with how metal salt mordants affect the dye colors so I have the same data set (hue, saturation, and brightness) for the same four dyes and same two fabrics using two different mordants (aluminum sulfate and ferrous sulfate). I did three trials for each.

Wool - No Mordant
Red - 3 trials, average
Purple - 3 trials, average
Yellow - 3 trials, average
Orange - 3 trials, average

Silk - No Mordant
Red - 3 trials, average

Wool - Aluminum Sulfate
Red - 3 trials, average

Silk - Aluminum Sulfate
Red - 3 trials, average

Wool - Ferrous Sulfate
Red - 3 trials, average

Silk - Ferrous Sulfate
Red - 3 trials, average

THEN I exposed all my samples above to sunlight for a period of several weeks and measured the hue, saturation, and brightness for all trials listed above to determine colorfastness. So I have the same number of data sets listed above for the exposed samples.

In total, I have 48 averages (dye colors, exposed dye colors). QUESTION: HOW DO I ORGANIZE MY DATA AND CALCULATE THE STANDARD DEVIATION? WILL I HAVE MORE THAN ONE STANDARD DEVIATION?

My board is due Nov. 4, 2015.

Thank you!
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Help! Standard Deviation Sci Fair Nov 4

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. Please only post your question in one forum so that our experts will reply in a single location and can best answer your questions based on what has already been discussed. It sounds like you received a lot of great advice on your post in the Physical Science forum. Please refer to that thread. Thanks for using Science Buddies, and good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”