Variables & Constants?

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

unicorn0in0myhouse

Variables & Constants?

Post by unicorn0in0myhouse »

Hi! :D I'm in eight grade and doing a project that heavily involves Excel and is basically analyzing a lot of data from a LOT of people to determine how many were addicted and to determine some other ratios ... it's pretty complicated. I really need some help determining what the variables and controls are for my experiment.

Here's my purpose:
The purpose of this project is to show the significance of how gaming can affect a gamers’ lives to the point of both physical and psychological addiction by analyzing data collected from about 3,054 gamers, data directly relating to the gamer and his/her affected life after starting an MMORPG, otherwise known as a Massively-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. This research will include information about psychological addiction and how psychological addiction can transform into physical addiction, analysis, and how the growth of MMORPGs affect the image and behavior of society.

And here's my hypothesis:
If 3,054 gamers were asked thirty-six questions on their gaming behavior and how it affects their lives, after their responses being analyzed, about fifty percent would be found to have the likelihood of psychological addiction, about fifteen percent having the likelihood of physical addiction, and about thirty five percent having the likelihood of no addiction. Also, after analyzing, it would be found that males of the age thirty to thirty-five would be more prone to addiction of any sort, WoW (World of Warcraft) being the most popular game and more favored amongst gamers and addicts alike.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Variables & Constants?

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. An interesting project. While online gaming can be fun, it can certainly be addictive.

I would like for you to take a first attempt at your variables. What do you think the independent, dependent, and control variables are and why?
- Independent variables are variables you will change in your experiment to affect the outcome.
- Dependent variables are what you measuring the outcome of, based on your independent variables.
- Control variables are ones you want to keep constant in order not to affect the outcome of your experiment.

You can read more about variables here.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bles.shtml

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with your percentages in your hypothesis?

Please write back with your first attempt at your variables, and we will go from there.

Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”