Rocketry

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jax321

Rocketry

Post by jax321 »

I am working on my 2nd grade Science project on rocketry. I have a few questions.

1. What is the most successful rocket launch?

2. Which is better liquid or solid fuel getting to space?

3. What type of fuel do SpaceX rockets use?

Thank you!
Typhoon_MkII

Re: Rocketry

Post by Typhoon_MkII »

1- depends, what would be the most "successful" launch? The first space launch? The one which sent an object farther than the others? The one that put the heaviest load on orbit?

2-Liquid fuel. Solid fuel was a thing earlier on because it was simpler and cheaper than liquid fuels (and, during the early years of rocketry, better: the liquid fueled ones like the German V2s were unstable, dangerous, and not that efficient).
Today, solid fuel rocket engines have a much somber use, since they're mostly used on nuclear ballistic missiles. They can be stored for a long time and thus don't need long filling sequences, which makes them perfect for a quick first or second strike.

3-SpaceX uses liquid fuel engines, because they're, well, better (and because they're much more appropriate for the reusable launchers they've started using)

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”