Sum of dice Problem

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).
Abomb23

Sum of dice Problem

Post by Abomb23 »

I ran into this next problem and I am having hard time getting a final answer for it for every m :

A dice is rolled and summed over and over , What is the probability That the sum will be "m" , "m" is a positive integer

My problem starts after the numer 6 , as I start to loose options , as I can't use 1 dice for higher numbers then 7 , same goes for 2 dices after 13 and so on.

Any1 got a soultion ?
pgordon

Re: Sum of dice Problem

Post by pgordon »

Abomb23 wrote:A dice is rolled and summed over and over , What is the probability That the sum will be "m" , "m" is a positive integer.
I'm assuming your solution will be an equation containing r, where r is the number of times the dice is rolled. The reason I say this is because the probability that the sum will be m changes depending upon if it's possible that sum=m on the next roll or not. I can't think of any way you could get a constant probability because 0<m<Infinity. For any m you pick, I can roll the dice enough times such that the probability that the sum = m is 0. Not sure if I was able to help you, I will continue to think about it.
Paul Gordon
Software Engineer
Symantec

Return to “Math & Computer Science Sponsored by Hyperion Solutions Corp”