A question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Lily186

A question

Post by Lily186 »

Hi again I was just wondering how can I
measure the radiation in air ?
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Re: A question

Post by EricBebenov24 »

Welcome back,
In our previous discussion we talked about how you could use an electromagnetic radiation detector to measure the radiation in the enclosed container after you have applied the aerosol spray inside. This is one of many radiation detecting devices that you could use. There is also a device called a Geiger Counter which measures ionizing radiation. If you don't have access to a radiation detecting device, you could consider making one yourself. I hope your project is going well and if you have any further questions, please ask!

EricBebenov24
Lily186

Climate change

Post by Lily186 »

Hi again I was wondering if I could somehow measure the pressure in an aerosol can for example a hairspray bottle
Lily186

Re: Climate change

Post by Lily186 »

Thank you!! I’ve been looking for something like this eveywhere
Lily186

Climate change

Post by Lily186 »

Hi again sorry for asking so many questions but I was wondering if you can measure radiation through temperature
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Lily,

I've merged your questions into your previous thread so the expert who has been helping you will see that you have follow-up questions. Please keep your questions on this topic in this thread - this helps the experts help you more quickly. Thanks!

Madeline
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

Hello,
the relationship between temperature and radiation is that the higher the temperature, the amount of emitted energy increases, therefore radiation. However, using temperature alone would not give you the exact amount of radiation in an enclosed container, so you might need to measure other factors which would allow you to come up with the exact radiation.
Feel free to ask for clarification!

EricBebenov24
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Thank you for all your help. So what would be some other factors I can measure. And is there a law to measure the radiation through temperature for example the Stefan-Boltzmann law but it only applies to black bodies or planks law. Also I’ve been thinking measuring the amount of radiation maybe difficult because the aerosols I am using are cool and don’t contain enough carbon. So would it be better to measure the reflectivity of the aerosol instead of the amount of radiation it absorbs or would that be harder. I hope this isn’t confusing
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

Alright,
I was able to find this website here which provides information on how to use the Stefan-Boltzmann Law for objects that are not ideal black bodies: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/radi ... d_431.html
Some of the factors other than temperature which you would need include emissivity, which would depend on the type of material you are using, and the area of the object you are using. Concerning which way to measure the amount of radiation, this article deals with the radiation of energy to the cooler surroundings around the object, therefore it would be better to measure the reflectivity of the aerosol. Read through the article and see how it is relevant to the specifics of your experiment, and come back with any questions that you might have. I hope this article helps!
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Thank you so much for responding again sorry for asking so many questions but how would I measure reflectivity of the aerosol
(Hairspray)?
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

For the emissivity of the hairspray bottle, you could try finding out what material the hairspray bottle is made out of and look up that material's emissivity, such as steel or aluminum.
For the temperature of the hairspray bottle, or the hot body absolute temperature, you could try heating up the aerosol (hairspray bottle) in some water until a specific temperature is reached, which you would record. You could then measure the absolute temperature of the colder surroundings inside of the container you would be using. This could be done using a thermometer that could measure atmospheric temperature.
For the area, or surface area, of the hairspray bottle, try splitting it up into regular shapes and find the surface area of all of the smaller, individual, shapes and add all of the individual surface areas at the end. For example, there are cylindrically shaped hairspray bottles that you could use, or ones that have other definite shapes. Or, you could have a cylinder with a hemisphere at the top.
Finally, plug all of the values into the equation: q = ε σ (Th4 - Tc4) Ah
Hopefully, that would give you the net radiation loss rate for the aerosol (hairspray).
If you need any clarification for any of these steps, please do not hesitate to ask!
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Thank you very much it has been a pleasure working with you :) the equation measures reflectivity?Just to make sure
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

The equation measures the net radiation loss rate, or the radiation that is reflected off of the aerosol hairspray can. So yes, it measures reflectivity of radiation from the aerosol.
It has been a pleasure working with you too, and come back with any other questions you might have throughout the way!
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Hi I’ve been trying to test how pressure affects reflectivity so I found out that different aerosols such as spray paint , hair spray have different amounts of propellent
Which affects the pressure. But that would mean I would have 2 different variables is that possible?
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

Hi there,
I am not quite understanding what your concern is. Yes, there are different types of aerosols such as hairspray cans or spray paint cans, but you can just choose whichever one you prefer. You could, however, conduct multiple trials of the experiment using the different types of aerosol cans, which would act as a comparison once you come up with the overall results of the experiment.
I hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”