A question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Lily186

Re: A question

Post by Lily186 »

Thank you for the response I have figured out what to do thank you so much you have been a major help. Also would u measure the cold absolute temperature before or after putting the heated up aerosol mixture. Also I heat the actual bottle up and then spray the aerosol into the container?
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

You would measure the cold absolute temperature right before you place the heated aerosol mixture into the container. This way, no temperature would be lost. Regarding how you should heat up the aerosol, have the bottle with the aerosol inside and place it in a fixed temperature of heated water. By doing this, you would allow the entire system (bottle and aerosol) to absorb the heat and have a uniform temperature.
Sorry if I haven't been getting back to you on time, and I appreciate your kindness!
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Hi no problem, what temperature would you recommend the water should be because as you know an aerosol can explode in high heat
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

You would want your water to be warm, but not boiling hot. The standard temperature for warm water ranges from 43.3-32.2 degrees Celsius.
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Hi again thank you so much again just another question when I measure the pressure of the can should I use the temperature it is at or the temperature when it is in the water and heated to a certain temperature. Also when I plug the numbers in the equation for the net radiation loss how do I use Stefan Boltzmans law and lastly do I multiply Th4 for example the temperature is 25 degrees Celsius do I multiply it by 4. I’m really sorry if this is a lot of questions I cannot stress how thankful I am for your help.
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Also does Ah in the equation stand for area
And in the equation ε σ (Th4 - Tc4) Ah are the units for the temperature supposed to be in Kelvin again so sorry for asking so many questions. Thank you
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

When you are measuring the pressure of the can, you should measure the temperature after it is heated and placed in the controlled, container system. Measure it as soon as possible so you could get an accurate reading before any temperature is lost.
Regarding how to use the Stefan Boltzmann law, I formulated an answer to this question in a previous response, so I will just paste it into here: For the emissivity of the hairspray bottle, you could try finding out what material the hairspray bottle is made out of and look up that material's emissivity, such as steel or aluminum.
For the temperature of the hairspray bottle, or the hot body absolute temperature, you could try heating up the aerosol (hairspray bottle) in some water until a specific temperature is reached, which you would record. You could then measure the absolute temperature of the colder surroundings inside of the container you would be using. This could be done using a thermometer that could measure atmospheric temperature.
For the area, or surface area, of the hairspray bottle, try splitting it up into regular shapes and find the surface area of all of the smaller, individual, shapes and add all of the individual surface areas at the end. For example, there are cylindrically shaped hairspray bottles that you could use, or ones that have other definite shapes. Or, you could have a cylinder with a hemisphere at the top.
Finally, plug all of the values into the equation: q = ε σ (Th4 - Tc4) Ah
You don't multiply the difference between the temperatures by 4, but instead raise it to the fourth power. I hope that clarifies the way the equation was processed into this textbox.
The temperature would be measured in degrees celsius, and the area would be measured in meters. And yes, Ah does stand for the area.
Don't hesitate to ask other questions, and I will try to answer them on time!
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Thank you so much for your response just to clarify q = ε σ (Th4 - Tc4) Ac
E in the equation is emissaivity
o= The value of the Stefan-Boltzmann constant is approximately 5.67 x 10 -8 watt per meter squared per kelvin to the fourth (W · m -2 · K -4 ).
The Stefan Boltzmann constant uses kelvin?
Also the pressure of the aerosol can seems to be about 108 atm? Is that too high the equation I used is mass divides by molar mass multiplied by atm constant divided the volume in litres multiplying it by the temp in (k) take your time to answer this question and again so sorry for taking up your time
Last edited by Lily186 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

The E in the equation is emissivity.
If this is the symbol that you mean (σ), it is placed to show that you should take the difference of the temperature between the inside of the aerosol and its surrounding environment. I don't think the equation requires you to plug in the Stefan Boltzmann constant.
To find the pressure of the aerosol, you can use the ideal gas law equation: pV = nRT
-you would find the volume the aerosol occupies V
-you would find the moles of gas inside n
-the R value is 0.08206
-T is for the temperature of the aerosol.
(Don't forget to measure the volume in liters, as well as convert the temperature to Kelvin) Everything in the equation should be in STP (Standard Temperature Pressure)
See if this equation would yield similar results for your pressure.
I hope this helps and clarifies!
Lily186

Post by Lily186 »

Thank you so much I have successfully completed my experiment, I look forward to working with you in the future I couldn’t have done this project without you :D
EricBebenov24
Former Student Expert

Post by EricBebenov24 »

It was a pleasure working with you, and I look forward to working with you too regarding any new projects you have in mind.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”